Changes to Tags, Contextual Recommendations, Search
Later today we will release a series of enhancements to the site. Please note, links below will not work until we launch...
* Contextual Recommendations: We are now presenting contextually relevant suggestions of related CHOW & Chowhound content on story, recipe, and Chowhound thread pages on the site. So, if a user is reading a thread or story about cheese, they will be able to easily view additional content about cheese. We hope that this will help users to discover additional content that might interest them.
* Auto-Tagging & Tags Pages
We have added 5,000 new tag pages to the site, that collect all content related to a given keyword on one page. We are linking to these pages from the contextual recommendations module described above, and also within the body of the text on the story & recipe pages.
* Changes to Search
We've moved the site to a new search system, with improved relevance, and cleaner design. The main changes you will notice are:
- Advanced search options are now in the right column, rather than in the center where they were before. Functionality is the same.
- You will not see the details of board, date and poster on the main "All Results" tab of search, but it is all available under the "Boards" tab.
- Text search options such as User:Username and Board:Boardname are no longer available, we will restore them in the next release, in the interim, searching by username in quotes should return all posts for that user.
- If you have bookmarked searches, they will no longer work, so you will need to reset them.
We are going to be improving and refining these features over the next several weeks, so please let us know if you have any suggestions or notice problems, or there are tags you'd like to see added to the site. We really hope that you'll enjoy these new features, and that this will help you find what you are looking for and discover additional relevant content you didn't know was on the site.
OK, this has slowed the site down to unbearable again with pages taking 5 or minutes to load. if one of the changes was to "will help users to discover additional content that might interest them" work on the site performance not how pretty it looks.
I would LOVE to read more on Chow/Chowhound. As it is I am about a month behind reading the SF board. So it is rare that I click on other intersting links I see because it takes TOO LONG for them to load.
With this latest change, and the fact that I am a month behind on the only board I read anymore my Chowhound reading will be even more limited.
I guess my main Chowhound access will be primarily through the Chow Digest emails.
I don't know if that's the cause, but starting yesterday afternoon I also found the site slowed to the point of stopping at moments- pages would time out and not load, like the site was down. Usually a few minutes later things seemed better, but then they would get worse again. I haven't noticed it this morning so hopefully it was just a problem with the initial launch.
There are 4746 topics under the boards link in the cheese tags. They are sorted in
an apparently random order. They can only be viewed 15 topics at a time, which means
clicking through over 300 pages! They can't be resorted, filtered, or sub-searched.
What is your intention here? I It seems pretty completely useless as is.
Also, it looks like everything after and including the ? in that url is superfluous.