Top 10 Chain/Fast Food Items
I try to eat food at fast food places as little as possible, but I must admit, some are just better than you'd expect.
Here's my favorite chain/Fast Food restaurant items )I put a comment and the number of times I've had this item in the last year in parenthesis)
10. Crispy Chicken Salad - IHOP (had this once recently and it was very tasty - 1)
9. Green Bean Fries - TGIF (Only had these once, but they were delicious - 1).
8. White Castle Hamburgers (although my stomach can't handle them anymore - 1)
7. P.F. Chang's Lettuce wraps - nothing special, but they are delicious - 1)
6. Coffee Fribble - Friendly's (and I don't even like ice cream that much - 1)
5. Chicken McNuggets - McDonald's (and it doesn't taste just like chicken -2).
4. Iced Coffee - Dunkin Donuts (I hate their coffee normally, but it's great cold - 25-30)
3.Whopper - Burger King (Sadly I like this more than 90& of real restaurant burgers - 7-10)
2. Extra Crispy Chicken - KFC (truly my favorite fried chicken - 5)
1. Blue Cheese Pecan Chopped Salad - Outback (I could eat this every day - 2)
I know some of these things may not even be considered food to some (ie McNuggets). Just wondering what others thought.
Weinerschnitzle chili cheese dogs (with onions)
KFC's fried apple pies, and their coleslaw
Costco's dogs/polish and their berry sundae
Dairy Queen's Dilly Bars
Lemon Eggees (small chain in AZ, kind of shaved ice slushie thing)
The old Bell Burgers from Taco Bell (they haven't made them in years, God knows why?)
I remember them more-or-less like that, with tomato as an option. No mustard though -- that would be disgusting. There are a few places in CA that still serve them -- a couple somewhere in L.A., and one in Bishop (which is pretty far from anywhere else in CA!). I had one last summer in Bishop, and the memory was definitely better than the actual Bellbeefer.
McD's Fries, straight out of the fryer, with just a little salt
DQ Buster Bars
White Castle burgers (although I can't eat them very often
Popeye's chicken, spicy. And a side of dirty rice.
Starbucks Iced Caramel Machioto (or however you spell it)
Taco Bell Chili Cheese Burrito or chilito or whatever they are calling it this year.
Culver's Cheese Curds.
That's about it for national chains. There are some local fast food places (in Chicago) where I could joyfully eat every day!
1. Carls Jr. burgers, any of them
2. Taco Time mexi-fries (tater tots with awesome good seasonings)
3. Jack in the Box curly fries with ranch
4. McD's Quarter Pounder with fries and a coke...every once in a while, that is the ONLY thing that hits the spot!
5. Taco Bell crunchy tacos
6. DQ's Banana Cream Pie Blizzard (those graham cracker crust chunks are SO good)
7. Costco's hotdogs or Polish dogs, with the works.
8. Forza (local coffeeshop chain, similar but MUCH better than Starbuck's) 1/2 caff Americano with full flavor shots of white chocolate and coconut, topped off with half and half. Dessert in a cup!!!!
I could keep going - although I LOVE really good food, sometimes the fast food stuff just does the trick.
They do something called a DaVinci Code mocha (they use DaVinci syrups, not a reference to the movie really, just a play on the name), it is a white and dark chocolate mocha with coconut and almond syrups....Good stuff!!
If you are ever in Puyallup, WA, Go to the Top Foods Forza - they are the best!
Ohhh I also love the DQ banana cream pie blizzard! I've tried other blizzards since discovering it, and they don't compare.
We don't have all the same chains here in Canada, and my list is short...
1) Popeye's chicken and biscuits
2) Tim Hortons' ice cap, and I am otherwise a Timmy's hater, but I love the ice cap more than much pricier, independent, etc, iced coffees
3) Starbucks pumpkin scone once in a while
4) and the DQ banana cream pie blizzard, when it's available.
5) oh and one more, recently tried our first Chipotle's outlet and I would certainly choose them over any other fast food chain
I never liked the fries or burgers at McD's. I was a BK kid - I'm still trying to change that dietary habit but sometimes the comfort foods die hard. I don't eat these much anymore, but here they are.
1. Chick Fil A - Chicken Mini's
2. Taco Bell Pizza
3. BK Hamburger and Fries Kid's Meal
4. Checker's Banana Shake, Fries and Chicken Sandwich
5. Steak and Shake Parfait
6. Panchero's - Burrito Bowl
7. Wendy's Baked Potato
8. Olive Garden Minestrone and Breadsticks
I'm more of eat local/independent person, but
Crunchy Taco Supreme- Taco Bell
French Fries- McD's
Market Fresh BLT- Arby's
Extra Crispy Chicken- KFC
Mushroom N Swiss Burger- Runza
Potato Ole's w/ nacho cheese- Taco Johns
Double Double Animal Style- In N Out
Original Taco- Jimboy's Tacos
Monster Burger- Hardees
Big Mac- McDs
I'm sure I could think of many more.
Mickey D fries
DQ Butterfinger Blizzard
A&W coney dog (from an actual drive in with carhops, not a mall food court franchise)
A&W root beer in a frosty mug (see above)
Steak & Shake milkshake...any flavor with chocolate as a component
Thinking about this topic, it occurs to me that I have cut down my visits to fast food places by about 2/3 in the past couple of years--even my 20 yr old son isn't all that enamored anymore.
Popeye's chicken, Louisiana Nuggets, red beans and rice.
McD's Filet O Fish (however they have too much tarter on them lately)
McD's fries--fresh only.
McD's chicken/biscuit for breakfast
Taco Bell's Double decker taco supreme
Coconut Cream Pie-cheesecake from Cheesecake factory
Chicken potstickers from Cheesecake Factory.
That's about it from my New England Location. I focused more on fast food because there's not much I really love from Fridays, Chilis, IHop, etc.
Dunkin Donuts iced coffee is at least a weekly indulgence for me
Cheesecake Factory- my girlfriends always want to go- Chinese Chicken Salad is soo good
McDonalds chicken nuggets, I have to agree
Bolocco (Boston-area burrito chain)- summer burrito with brown rice and tofu = PERFECTION
Au Bon Pain- soups especially pumpkin soup and corn or clam chowders
In n Out- Everything. Outrageously delicious
Starbucks pumpkin scones and other pastries
Taco Bell Taco Salad (any variation, they're always changing the name)
Well, had my colonoscopy done yesterday (Yuck). Since I had not had any solid food for over 30 hours, I got a hankering for Mickey D's fries on the way home. Had my "driver" pull in to the drive through; she missed the ordering kiosk (shows how often we go!), and we arrived at the window. At that point, we decided to pull over and go in to order to go. Since I could walk and talk with confidence after the anasthesia, I went in and when the fry-smell hit me, knew I just had to have a Big Mac, fries, and a vanilla shake! So a # 1 meal it was. Don't know if it was after-procedure munchies, senility, or just plain hunger, but boy that combo tasted good - a filled up all thosoe hollows in my system.
Probably the first time in about 5 years I've been through the arches, and it may be another 5 before I"m back, but at that moment, it was like heaven!
re: James Cristinian
re: James Cristinian
Total sidebar, but the Spouse uses this story to prove my foodie credentials. My last colonoscopy (I have a chronic illness and a family history) was during our local high-end specialy store's annual blow-out sale (Southern Season for those in NC). The hospital is nearby so my instructions were to stop for a bagel and get me straight to Southern Season. I was so fuzzy from the anasthesia that I had to hold on to the shopping cart just to stay upright. But no way was I going to miss that sale. I could have been in a coma and still shopped that sale.
McDonald's Big Mac/Chicken McNuggets
Taco Bell Nachos Supreme/Double Decker
Jack in the Box Curly Fries
In-n-Out Double Double Grilled and Fresh Onions Animal Style
Cheesecake Factory Santa Fe Salad ( i think that's the name)/Jambalaya Pasta with rice instead
KFC Cole Slaw/Extra Crispy Chicken
Yesterday I had to drive to another town for part of my work... and it had been a really long day... with no lunch. i was thinking about stopping and getting a bite in that town... but realized i had left my wallet at the office. i had about $2.50 in quarters in my change slot in the car, so yes.... i hit the golden arches where i can say a) they had no shamrock shake despite it being St. pat's, b) I ordered the double cheeseburger and small fries and it cost $2.40 c) those were some hot, salty fries and don't know if it was just because i was really hungry... but both of those items hit the spot. d) they never put napkins in the bag in the drive thru!
McD's fries are the best..I love those skinny salty suckers
I used to LOVE White Castle Burgers (NOT their Cheeseburgers - I cannot stress that enough!)
But I havent had WC in maybe 10 years..
The trick to having a White Castle - and not having a bellyache - is you absolutely have to drink a shake with them...no heartburn, no bellyache - it used to work every time!
Egg McMuffin - still love them with a hot cup of coffee and hash browns
Popeyes chicken with a biscuit
I just had BK this past week. I have to admit, even lukewarm, it was pretty tasty. I can see why they're still around, even though as a corporate entity, they stand as an utter abomination to humankind.
Also, Starbucks' frapuccino, i.e., ice blended mocha, was pretty tasty. Very expensive at 3.50 for a small, but quite the indulgence. They're so good, I'm willing to overlook the inherent plasticky aftertaste you endure with every sip. Sugar and chocolate trump plasticky aftertaste. Again, in the past week.
Quizno's makes a pretty tasty tuna sandwich, thick with mayo and artificial orange-ish american cheese. The contents make me shudder, but it's tasty.
Dang, I wish food prices hadn't spiked in the past year, or else I could be eating more organics...
I think you'll find that most of my favorites are the things I grew up on in the Cincinnati area. Since moving to Texas about 7yrs ago I have been in constant mourning for my favorite foods :(
10. Arby's Chicken Salad Market Fresh Sandwich
9. Wendy's Chili
8. Wingstop Mild Wings
7. Frisch's in Cincinnati - Big Boy, Fish Sandwich, Vegetable Soup, Hot Fudge Cake ...
6. Donatos Pizza (you can't beat that thin crisp crust, god I miss them since I moved to TX)
5. Cheesecake Factory Chinese Chicken Salad
4. White Castle Burgers (don't RUIN them with cheese!) and crinkle fries or onion chips
3. Chickfila Chicken Nugget meal with waffle fries and cole slaw and their Polynesian sauce
2. Graeter's Ice Cream in Cincinnati - favorite is a double dip cone with chocolate & coffee
1. Skyline Chili 3way which is spaghetti topped with chili and grated cheddar - I'd rather have this than the best steak dinner money could buy, maybe because I moved away and can no long get them *cries* (Cincinnati chili chain - www.skylinechili.com)
as an ex-cincinnatian as well, it does effect your tastebuds!
so the only chain food i'd say i ever CRAVE:
chick-fil-a original sandwich with extra pickles and mayo/mustard
skyline chili - 3 way, 4 way, coney - all of it!
steak & shake - chocolate chip shake, and a steakburger platter
an egg mcmuffin
the thai lettuce wraps at cheescake factory
five guys burger
DQ blizzard - vanilla with m&m's
starbucks - lemon cake (but the rest of their pastries are yucky)
From a Canadian perspective:
Swiss Chalet chicken (rotisserie grilled with their sauce!)
Swiss Chalet fries - you'll realize how 2nd rate McD's are after these
Popeye's - If I'm getting fried chicken, they're the one since Church's disappeared
Whopper Jr - can't finish the big boy anymore
Harvey's original burger
Lick's Homeburger - all three above burgers are distinct, but still yummy
Mr. Sub assorted on whole wheat w/ pickles, hot peppers, and honey mustard
San Francesca veal sandwich
Toronto street dog - 2nd best street eats, especially at $2
Danforth souvlaki on a pita - at least a dozen locations - perfect street eats
I'm not Canadian, but I love Swiss Chalet! Haven't had it in years, must get back to Toronto soon!
Also on my list:
McDonald's Southern Chicken Biscuit. I am addicted to these.
Chipotle Bowl with extra rice, eaten with chips
Popeyes spicy chicken breast - with Cajun Sparkles
Vienna hotdogs - not a chain, but served everywhere in Chicago and deelish
White Castle double cheeseburger
Baskin Robbins Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. My favorite since I was a tiny lass, still is. Love the flaked chocolate
Dunkin Donuts coffee and chocolate cake donut with glaze. Perfect junky breakfast on the go.
Wendy's - Chili w/cheese n onions
Burger King - Chicken Fries
McDonalds - Bacon Egg n Cheese Biscuit
Moe's - Joey Bag of Donuts
Arbys - Curly Fries
Chic Fil A - Chicken Salad Sandwich
In n Out - Everything
KFC - Wings
Olive Garden - Salad n Bread Sticks
Sonic - Coney Dog
This is the official list.
I had some chicken fries in a drunken late-night drive through trip on Friday night (I wasn't driving, no worries). They were delicious.
But what was even more delicious was Burger King's butterfinger cream pie. I have no words to describe how good that tasted to me. It might have been my state of mind but I don't think so - it was probably laced with some chemical food version of crack because I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then
1 Pizzaria Uno Pizza Bianco deep dish, (Just sausage garlic and cheese but soooo good, off the menu's at a lot of the locations but if the cook has been around long enough you can get them to make it).
2 Chili's Black Bean soup (Sadly pulled from the local restaurants, the only thing that got me to go to chili's)
3 Sonny's pulled pork sandwich. (the BBQ snobs are too hard on this place IMO)
4 Taco Bell taco salad (with ranch dressing from home)
5 Checkers Big Buford burger (I hate hamburgers I can't get medium rare but if I have to get a fast food burger this is the one I would go for)
6 Skyline Chili 5 way (who knew that spaghetti and chili would go so well together?)
7 Skyline Chili cheese coneys (can't eat less than 3 at a sitting)
8 Popeye's spicy chicken (so much better than KFC it's not funny)
9 Arby's apple and cherry turnovers. (arby's has inedible roast beef but the turnovers are da bomb).
10 McDonald's sausage mcmuffin (when you have to have breakfast in the car there is nothing better)
OK, I'll bite....
1. Donatoes Traditional Pepperoni Pizza (I miss them!)
2. French Fries- Checkers
3. Sausage Biscuit from McD's
4. Iced Coffee- Starbucks
5. Hash Browns- Dunkin Donuts
6. Fried Zucchini- Maggianos
7. Grilled Chicken- Carrabas
8. Hash Brown Casserole- Cracker Barrell
9. Cheddar Biscuits- Red Lobster
10. Fried Calamari- Capital Grill
Oh how I miss Blakes!!! I also miss being able to get green chili put on pretty much anything. Like how the local Sonic's would make you a grilled cheese, with green chili in it. And the Green chili breakfast burritos from Whataburger with potatoes, eggs & sausage. Yum. Best I can do now here in TX is Whataburger breakfast burritos. Or get a sausage breakfast burrito and a potato breakfast burrito from Taco Cabana, mix the two fillings and redistribute to the original tortillas, then add lots of salt and salsa. It's not the same. Why is it that every breakfast burrito comes with egg and only one extra when everyone knows you gotta have at least potato and sausage or bacon.
When the urge hits for a green chile Lotaburger, it is 2 blocks from my school for lunch and 1 block from my house, for sudden urges. Had one yesterday for an "after school snack". Will make a 1 blk detour for a green chile and bean breakfast burrito.the spicey fries ain't too shabby either.
Haven't ha a big mac in 15 years or more and don't crave it.
Here are mine....
10. Hot Chocolate - 7-11
9. Flat Bread (just the bread - not on a sandwich!) - Cosi
8. Fruit and Yogurt Parfait (Strawberry / Blueberry) - Starbucks
7. Egg McMuffin - McDonalds
6. Choclate Frosty - Wendys
5. Frontega Chicken Panini - Panera
4. Chicken Ceasar Salad - TGI Fridays
3. Chocolate Glazed Donut - Dunkin Donuts
2. Big Mac - McDonalds
1. Blizzard (chocolate, Reese's PB Cups) - DQ
1) Tijuana Flats- Chicken Salad with avacado ranch dressing. Also their vidalia onion and Georgia peach hot sauce which is utterly not Mexican and utterly delish
2) Starbucks- Whitc Chocolate Mocha
3) Boston Market- Spiced apples
4) Quiznos- Baja Chicken Sandwich
5) Tropical Smoothie- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wrap. Not super-hot but has a nice spiciness to it.
6) Arby's- chicken fingers
7) Sonic- chocolate cream pie shake (yes, I've seen the calorie numbers)
8) Schlotzky's- BBQ chicken pizza
9) Wendy's- french fries with BBQ sauce
10) Chik-fil-A fried chicken sandwich
Outback is our go-to place for a steak here in Rehoboth. I have discovered how delicious their green beans are. I have had that salad you mentioned and I like it very much too.
We lived in Raleigh for a while and really enjoyed the mall restaurants in that area. I don't understand why people think they are so bad. They are great for families with kids. You know what to expect.
My children really miss having a PF Chang's nearby. I think they loved everything there!
We really loved Chili's chips and salsa.
One son loved the club sandwich with shrimp at The Cheesecake Factory, and then the other son loved their plank salmon with mashers and asparagus, but I really enjoyed their chicken salad.
The Olive Garden is what it is but their soup/salad/breadsticks lunch special was a deal!
Just yesterday my husband and I had lunch at a Panera Bread on our way to DC. I had the broccoli cheese soup and bread and that is now my favorite chain menu item!
For fast food, the McDonald's quarterpounder with cheese gets my vote but the Burger King Whopper Junior is pretty good too.
10. Dairy Queen Blizzard
9. Bojangles chicken (spicy)
8. Chipotle carnitas burrito
7. Sonic diet cherry limeade
6. Arby's original roast-beef sandwich (with lots of Arby's Sauce)
5. Schlotzsky's Original sandwich
4. McDonald's Egg McMuffin
3. Waffle House hash browns (scattered, smothered, covered and diced)
2. Kentucky Fried Chicken cole slaw
1. White Castle hamburger (we would also have accepted "Krystal hamburger")
re: Bill on Capitol Hill
New York Fries (Canada)
Recently 'discovered' Wahoo's Fish Taco in LA
Nordstrom's lobster bisque
Cheesecake Factory original cheesecake for takeout
Marble Slab Pumpkin Ice Cream
Cold Stone - the cheesecake signature mix
Rudy's BBQ in Austin
Red Lobster biscuits
I can't come up with ten, but I crave Long John Silver's regular fish filets. I can't stand anything else on their menu except those lovely, crunchy planks of fish.
The jalapeno chesseburger from White Castle ranks at the top as well, along with a chocolate shake.
I used to like Taco Bell's mexican pizza. I'll never order one again after my experience a couple of days ago. A scant quarter cup of beans and burger were between the two tortillas with very little cheese and a couple of anemic looking tomato pieces on top. Where's the gooey layer of two kinds of cheese, green onions and flavor? It was just bad.
A McDonald's sausage egg McMuffin always hits the spot on road trips and their Southwest salad isn't too bad.
Couldn't agree more re: the McD sausage and egg McMuff - dependable, delicious, and a great value. It's the one McD sandwich which actually looks in real life life as it does in the marketing photos. As you say, if it's 7 am, you're on the road, and you need to be somewhere by 9, it's great car food with a juice/coffee and the acceptable McD hash brown.
Dude, you got some money picks.
First off, the Mexican Pizza used to be a featured item. Ideally, it is served large, fresh, and the open tortilla serving as a crispy pizza crust was da bomb when it first came out. But it has fallen into second or third class status on their menu. For shame.
Second, the egg mcmuffin. A true classic.
I absolutely loved these two items when I was a bit of a lardass, and alas, as I am eating more fast food, I may lapse back.
In no particular order;
Five Guys - burger
Fudrucker's - burger
Popeye's - spicy chicken w/red beans and rice
McD - quarter pounder w/cheese
McD - sausage egg and cheese bagel
Samurai Sam's - Yaki Soba bowl
Pai Wai - Pad Thai
Jack in the Box - jumbo jack
KFC - Twister
Gone but not forgoten;
the Gino Giant
the Hot Shoppes Mighty Mo
Back before I had allergies--
-Jack in the Box Curly Fries
-Jack in the Box Oreo Shake
-La Salsa Cheese Quesadilla
-Dairy Queen Breeze (vanilla w/ rainbow sprinkles)
-Cheesecake Factory Four Cheese Pasta with extra ricotta
-Cheesecake Factory Oreo or Vanilla Bean or White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle
-Koo Koo Roo Mac'n'cheese and brownies
-Starbucks Classic Coffee cake
in n out burger double double and neapolitan shake
steak n shake chili 5 ways
white castle burgers
portillo's italian beef
outback bloomin onion
ruth's chris chopped salad
dq blizzard with butterfinger
culver's cheese curds
culver's walleye sandwich
ranch 1 club sandwich
chick fil a breaded chicken breast sandwich
The McD apple pies used to be deep fried; now they are baked, more's the pity. There's a thread about the pies in general chowhound topics, I believe.
What I like best about the Harvey's burger is they actually dress it right in front of you, after taking it off the flame broiler. They have awesome dill pickle slices, which I really enjoy, but not on my burger. So I ask for them on the side, and they usually put five or six slices on to a sheet of waxed paper - it's like getting an extra side with your meal! If only they served fresh fries instead of frozen, they'd be my only ever go-to burger joint.
Marie Callender’s FRESH Peach Pie
Bob’s Big Boy Double Decker
In N Out Cheeseburger Protein style w/grilled onions
Taco Bell bean tostada
Juan Pollo potato salad
Buca de Beppo thin crust pepperoni pizza w/chili oil
Coco’s Thai Chicken Salad
Mimi’s Cafe French onion soup
Alberto’s (So Cal Mexican fast food chain) bean and cheese burrito w/sour cream
Wahoo’s Fish Tacos
Edwardos spinach pizza,
Olive Garden Salad,
Marie Calendars soups ( potato, and tomato)
Houlihans lettuce wraps
McDonald's mushroom and swiss cheese burger,
Burger King Whopper,
Arby's curly fries,
McDonald's Sausage, egg and cheese McMuffin
McDonald's regular iced coffee
Edwardos spinach pizza,
Olive Garden Salad,
Marie Calendars soups ( potato, and tomato)
Houlihans lettuce wraps
McDonald's mushroom and swiss cheese burger,
Burger King Whopper,
Arby's curly fries,
McDonald's Sausage, egg and cheese McMuffin
Kaladi Brothers Coffee (a local chain) It IS the best!!! They have a special and unique way of roasting their coffee with fresh, hot air instead of the traditional heated surface and the result is a very clean and uniform roast. They actually guarantee that you can return it if it is not as good as another brand. Yummy!!!
Papa Murphy's pizza
Not in any particular order-
McD's fries, fresh
McD's sausage egg mcmuffin
A nice big Arby's with a little Arby's sauce AND horsey sauce
Lucky Wishbone gizzards
Lucky Wishbone steak fingers
A venti iced latte, either Starbuck's or McD's
BK cheeseburger (simple perfection)
A DQ chocolate dip cone
Several of eegee's monthly flavors
Jack in the Box onion rings
Lucky Wishbone's fried chicken
La Salsa's baja fish tacos
Costco's polish dogs
Gross little frozen White Castle burgers
-cheesecake factory bistro shrimp pasta. only had it once, as i don't go often and like to try new things, but the shrimp was so incredibly delicious and delicate i can't stop thinking about it! the jambalaya pasta is a very close second, mainly because it has spinach fettuccine that tasted like it was just made.
-anything taco bell. the grilled stuffed chicken burrito, and the cheesy beef and rice burrito are my current faves.
-cheesecake factory peach bellini drink. probably 5 percent alcohol, but tastes heavenly.
-california pizza kitchen sonora egg rolls!
- qdoba pulled pork nachos. they let me put whatever i want on it, so i get extra lettuce, tomatoes, queso,guacamole beans and rice and literally everything and it's a crazy delicious meal for two days.
-tgi fridays green bean fries. Although it used to be their aaamazing ahi tuna sliders. got them a few times before it was taken off the menu, and i honestly thought i had never had a dish with more flavor.
-oh, also tgi fridays cedar seared salmon pasta, and the prime rib stroganoff of their their right portion right price menu.
-dairy queen's mushroom swiss burger. comes with this mushroom sauce that is sinfully good.
-friendly's reeses peanut butter cup friend z
-panera chicken caesar sandwich on tomato basil bread with a cup of tomato soup.
-i'm also a sucker for wendy's fries. not salty, and a much more potato to fried flavor ratio.
Since no one else has mentioned it...
Cajun Chicken Pasta - from Chili's
I think that's the name, very close if not. I don't have it often since its in a heavy cream sauce (no wonder its good!) and I can hear the arteries clogging while I eat!
Chicken Baja Burrito - from Baja Fresh
I first had the Burrito Mexicano, and was left wondering what all the fuss was about BF, then I had this burrito and knew what it was about!
1) Any milkshake from Cook Out
2) Bojangles Chicken Filet Biscuit
3) Au Bon Pain Goatcheese Portobello Sandwich
4) Krispy Kreme Glazed Donut
5) Chili's Chicken Fried Steak (haven't had it in years though)
6) Quiznos Roast Beef and Chedder (so much gooier than any sandwich should be)
7) Dairy Queen hand dipped soft serve
8) Burger King Whopper
9) Any AWFUL rendition of General Tso's Chicken in the country
10) Boloco Buffalo Carnitas Burrito
Panara Breads vermont white cheddar mac and cheese
Bj's Brewhouse potato skins
Bad Ass Coffee Monkey Mocha Coffee
Olive Gardens Portabello ravioli
Jersey Mikes Original Italian Sub
Donatos Pizza Traditional Pepperoni pizza
Five Guys Bacon Cheese Burger
Chic-Fil-A Waffle Fries
Bahama Breeze - Fish Tacos
About the only chain I go to with any regularity (3 or 4 times a year) is Popeyes for their spicy fried chicken. (Nostalgia. Reminds me of college in Louisiana.)
But I do have a few items I choose if I find myself at some particular chains.
PF Changs: Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps, Ma Po Tofu, Sichuan Style Asparagus
Cheesecake Factory: Fire Roasted Artichokes, Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes, French Country Salad
Olive Garden: Eggplant Parmigiana
Outback: Chopped Bleu Cheese Salad, Baked Sweet Potato
I may give up on the Chopped Bleu Cheese Salad at Outback, though. The last two times I've been there (same location, over a year apart) the salad has been mostly lettuce with not enough pecans or bleu cheese to see without a loupe.
Wendy's plain hamburgers without cheese and nuggets
Arby's French Dip without cheese and curly fries. Curly fries, a work of art.
Wawa Homestyle Roast Beef sub. Wawa meatballs in a soup cup.
Church's Biscuits. Don't particularly care for their chicken but their biscuits are unbelievable. Also their chicken can be pretty cheap, and it tastes "good enough".
Peanut buster parfait from Dairy queen, substituting peanut butter sauce for the (yuck) chocolate. (PS I realize that I am an exception for not understanding why people like chocolate, but Dairy Queen's peanut butter sauce is amazing).
-Harry From Marydel, DE
1. Cinnamon Twists from Taco Bell (cheap and delicious, what could be better?)
2. Caramel Apple Empanada from Taco Bell (I would run three miles for this)
3. Cheesy Gordtia Crunch from Taco Bell (best thing since sliced bread)
4. Caramel Machiatto (sp?) from Starbucks (I would bathe in this)
5. Cherry Limeade with little ice from Sonic (perfect on a hot day)
6. White Castle Burgers (AMAZING)
7. Chicken Fries from Burger King (DELICIOUS)
8. Fire Sauce from Taco Bell (good on virtually ANYTHING)
9. Breadsticks from Olive Garden (I would have sex with these)
10. Vanilla Bean Cheesecake from T.G.I.F. (gift from GOD)
Friendly's Patty Melt and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae
Sonic- Vanilla Shake
DQ- Mint Oreo Blizzard
Olive Garden- Soup, Salad and Breadsticks
Bennigans (RIP)- Grilled Sirloin with Mushrooms, Onion, Cheese
Outback- Bloomin' Onion
KFC- Boneless honey bbq "wings"
McD's- Egg McMuffin with Hash brown
Checkers- Double Bacon Cheeseburger
One look at me and you would think, "this guy eats a lot of fast food". And you would be totally right. I won't post consumption figures because they would be like the national debt; so high that they are meaningless to the layperson. Here are my picks:
1) Hardee's biscuit sandwiches. These are better than than any biscuit I have had from a diner or "real" restaurant. Maybe somewhere out there a southern grandma makes better biscuits, but I don't know that many southern grandmas (actually none)
2) Any fried chicken from any chain. Fried chicken is not like burgers or tacos, where the fast food version - while tasty - is significantly inferior to the real thing. Fried chicken is awesome no matter where it comes from. I suppose we could establish a hierarchy with Popeye's on top and Church's skulking near the bottom but it's not like I would turn down fried chicken from any of these places.
3) Taco Bell chalupa. Remember in "The Lord of the Rings", when the heroes sit around discussing magical elven lembas bread? I think Tolkein must have wrote that part while eating a Taco Bell chalupa shell. Crispy on the outside, flaky on the inside, a feast worthy of King Aragorn himself!
4) Burger King Whopper. OK this thing is actually pretty gross. The patty is really thin and secretes chemical smoke flavor, and it comes with a lot of mayonnaise and raw onion. In fact you could accurately describe it as a mayo and onion sandwich, with some meat. However, I am powerless against the influence of childhood imprinting so I have to be honest and admit to enjoying the Whopper.
Mmm, Hardees Cinnamon and Raisin Biscuit and the Biscuit and Gravy are my favorites...
Otherwise it's as follows:
Chik-Fillet's Waffle Fries
Popeyes Dirty Rice
BK Whoppers (feeling the cholesterol count rise with every bite)
The McRib (back in stores on Nov 2nd)
Little Caesars $5 peperoni pizza
Steak and Shake's Chili Mac
Waffle House's Scattered, Smothered, Chunked, Crushed, Mashed, Mushed, Abused and a garden variety of other "adverb-ed" Hashed Browns
I'll stick to fast food chains since there are too many dishes I enjoy at sit down chains.
KFC Extra Crispy Chicken, Cajun fries, biscuits
McDonald's Big Mac, Double cheeseburger, Chicken Nuggets, French Fries, Mcflurry
BK Stacker, Hershey's Pie, Chicken Sandwich (no mayo)
Wendy's Frostee, chicken nuggets, french fries
Cheeburger Cheeburger Shakes and Onion Rings
White Castle Burgers
Boston Market dark chicken
Dunkin Donuts coffee coolata anf french cruellers
Popeye's biscuits (especially the buttery and crispy underside)
KFC's Coleslaw (the best coleslaw in the world, actually tastes "cool" in a way I have never been able to adequately explain, and only tastes right when eaten with a plastic spork)
Taco Bell Taco Supreme (crunchy shell that amazingly does not shatter when taking a bite, i.e., only the part that you bite into breaks, unlike Old El Paso supermarket crunchy taco shells which get that fault line down the entire taco shell on the first bite)
McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (alternating dips in Hot Mustard and Sweet & Sour; liked these much better when they had dark meat in them, too)
McDonald's Filet-O-Fish (especially when a little tartar sauce spills out of where you just bit)
McDonald's Cheeseburger (the little bits of onion are beguiling)
In-N-Out Double Double (best fast food burger, hands down)
Rita's Gelati (though nearly tied with Dairy Queen's Mr. Misty float)
Olive Garden's Salad and Breadsticks (best mass-produced Italian dressing ever; I love how the breadsticks glisten... but Pizza Hut breadsticks are a close second, followed by Little Caesar)
Chipotle's Carnitas fajita burrito with everything (that lime/cilantro rice is killer)
hmmm... this is a tough one since there are sooo many good junk out there.
in n out double-double with grilled onions
in n out fries
in n out shakes
mcdonald's filet o fish
mcdonald's chicken mcnuggets
mcdonald's fried apple pie
taco bell taco light
taco bell enchirito
popeye's fried chicken - before i bit into the crispy spicy shell and encountered green putrid meat
kfc fried chicken - regular and extra crispy
a&w root beer float
naugles egg and beef burrito
boston market mashed potatos and gravy
krispy kreme glazed - mmm so light and yummy
diedrichs java mocha shake
h. salt fried fish
alberto's carne asada burrito with guac
del taco soft chicken taco
del taco spicy jack chicken quesadilla
jack in the box curly fries
jack in the box tacos
jack in the box ultimate cheeseburger
ok... i'll stop there. that's my top 10... err my top 10s
I did 10 chains in general, and then cheated and added a few more, lol. I've had all of these numerous times, and I'm not really ranking them, sorry! :)
Panera bread = fudge brownies, chicken noodle soup, hot peach tea (Sadly I've yet to find a salad of theirs that I feel is actually worth the price!)
Starbucks = fruit and cheese plates w/ a bottle of Pellegrino, or when I'm REALLY splurging, a tall vanilla bean frap w/ nonfat and no whip, sometimes accompanied by a slice of reduced fat blueberry coffee cake
Jack in the Box = Sourdough Chicken Club, Monster tacos, curly fries
Popeye's Chicken = their spicy fried chicken is really addictive, and their biscuits aren't half bad. (Abysmal mashed potatoes though!)
Carl's Junior = Charbroiled chicken sandwiches, criss-cut fries
Chipotle = I stay away from their burritos, but I love their salads. I get mine with romaine, steak, tomato salsa, corn salsa, fajita vegetables, and sometimes guacamole if I'm splurging.
Outback = Seared ribeye, steamed vegetables, and a baked potato with the works
In N' Out = Medium-well cheeseburger with ketchup and grilled onions and a shake! Their fries suck though.
Hot Dog On A Stick = corndogs (duh!) and lemonade
Round Table Pizza = breadsticks (YUM!), and a deep dish with sausage, black olives, and garlic
McDonald's: I hate them for everything but an M&M McFlurry, their oatmeal, and their coffee. Oh, and SOMETIMES a sausage McMuffin and a hash brown, but I usually wind of regretting that within an hour or so.
Panda Express: Their Firecracker Beef, Kung Pao Chicken, and Honey Walnut Shrimp are all pretty decent in a bowl with steamed white rice
Del Taco: Marinated chicken burritos aren't that bad, and their fries... I get weird cravings for those fries some days.
Boston Market: Haven't been in years, but I used to LOVE them in junior high/high school. Their cornbread was addictive, and I loved their mac and cheese with the spiral pasta
Quizno's: Generally better than Subway, which is ICK.
Not in order of favorites, just as I happened to think of them-
1. Panera Bread- Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
2. Steak n Shake- Spicy Chipotle Burger
3. Buffalo Wild Wings- onion rings with SOUTHWESTERN RANCH SAUCE (best sauce ever)
4. Max n Erma's- Ragin' Cajun Burger
5. Cheddar's- everything I've ever eaten there is incredible
6. Rally's/Checker's- Spicy Chicken Melt (which they just stopped making)
7. Chipotle- burritos
I'm embarrassed to admit it but-
8. Pizza Hut- Pan pizza (pepperoni, onion and bacon) and breadsticks (If I don't have plans on a weekend night sometimes it's my favorite thing to just order one of these and pick up a six pack and sit by myself and watch some TV)
For fast food which I rarely eat, I would have to say either McDonald's egg McMuffin, junior bacon cheeseburger with a slice of tomato added, junior chicken with slice of tomato added or a Filet O' Fish. I get the tomatoe on the sandwiches cause it adds great flavour and I think it makes me feel like it's a bit healthier.
I did have a Califonia's breaded eggplant sandwich 3 years ago and loved that but just too much grease to have again.
Had a chicken bowl 4 years ago from KFC and remember it being very yummy and I think about 1000 calories...lol.
In no particular order...
White castle cheeseburgers
In n Out Animal Style 2x2
Taco bell gordita supreme
Chipotle Chicken burrito
Pizza hut Super Supreme - fresh out of the hot pan.
Papa John's "Works"
Tie: Chick Fil-A & Wendy's Spicy Chicken sandwich
KFC original recipe chicken, mashed potatoes & slaw.
Ohhh, man - We could seriously be friends, ha ha - I love everything on your list, and that Blue Cheese Pecan Chopped Salad - the best salad I have ever had! When my budget is tight, I go in and have that salad, bread, and a Bloomin' Onion for dinner. Oh yeah, have you tried their new flame grilled ribeye?? Awesome good steak!
1. Cheesecake Factory Corn Tamale Cakes (I could live off of these...)
2. PF Changs Mu Shu Pork
3. Baja Fresh Taquitos
4. Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder
5. Chipotle Fajita Style Burrito
6. Coastal Flats Mango Chicken Salad with Spiced Pecans
7. Carabba's Minestrone Soup
8. Uncle Julio's Enchiladas
9. Cheesecake Factory Strawberries and Cream Dessert
10. McDonald's Fries