- Sophia. Mar 7, 2009 04:17 PM
what did everyone have for dinner tonight? I was pleasantly surprised by how mine turned out so I want to share...I made a wild rice pilaf with butternut squash, golden raisins, and herbes de provence. finished it off with some toasted walnuts and gorgonzola. a-mazing. and despite the time it took to cook the rice, it was really easy.
top that--oh wait, I know you can!
Making chicken Francese (flour, egg, more flour) and finished in a lemony vermouth butter reduction. Not sure about sides; asparagus definitely and either rice pilaf or parsleyed potatoes. Bon Appetit.... adam
egg white frittata:
- sauteed the vegetable mixture: garlic, red onion, capers, fresh thyme, S&P, smoked paprika, bell peppers, crimini mushrooms, purple kale, sliced grape tomatoes...finished with a splash of sherry vinegar
- poured the lightly beaten egg whites (which i spiked with a tsp of Dijon mustard) into the pan, pulled & swirled until the bottom was mostly set
- scattered fresh basil & crumbled goat cheese over the top, and finished under the broiler.
- drizzled with a little Cholula before digging in.
it was delicious!
re: chef chicklet
It was a first try and very tasty, but next time I'll soak the cornmeal a little longer and I might cut down the yeast. The rising times were much faster than I expected, but it didn't rise at all in the oven. I'm a bit of a perfectionist though. It's from the Cafe Brenda cookbook. Here are the ingredients:
1/2 c. honey
4 Tbs. butter
1 cup scalded milk
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 c cornmeal
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbs active yeast
1 Tbsp salat
3 or 4 c white flour
1 1/2 c wheat flour
Was alone but roasted a couple of chickens to have on hand (next week is an alternating week in which my daughter is with me), Jasmine rice, Japanese cucumber salad, Chilean Cab.
I made baked almond-crusted salmon (coated first in spiced oil with ginger, turmeric, cumin and paprika) served with wilted spiced spinach with sautéed onions and garlic and potato and carrot rostis. For dessert, I baked a wholemeal banana and date cake and served it with a warm dulce de leche and sour cream sauce.