HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

How much Iodine taste is to much in seafood?

m
mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 03:21 PM

Had dinner at a well known reputable restaurant 2 weeks ago. The shrimp/scallop appetizer had an unpleasant iodine aftertaste and caused me to have a burning throat as if I had a raw throat. I dont have any allergies and this sensation rarely occurs. I have heard chefs talk about briny , minerally , sweet and iodiny flavors to good seafood. I get the first three but dont care for the last. What do other Chowhounders have to say?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. a
    adamshoe RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 04:06 PM

    sounds like something narsty was used to "preserve" the shrimp or scallops holding time. I'm not a huge seafood eater, but to me, if it tastes like iodine, it's NOT fresh. Had one exp. w/ the iodine shrimp thing years ago and I can still taste it in my mind. Voice of Ralphie from the Simpsons- "Tastes like burning...." ;) adam

    1. Samalicious RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 04:27 PM

      Might have been Gulf Brown shrimp that you had, which have that iodine taste. If they are frozen too late that taste intensifies.

      1. l
        latindancer RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 04:40 PM

        Seafood, and it doesn't matter how it's prepared, should never have any other taste/smell other than the ocean.
        I've been eating some sort of fish my entire life, at least 4 times a week, and if it smells or tastes like anything other than what it is supposed to taste like it's trashed.
        Iodine? No.

        1. CadienBelle RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 05:19 PM

          Iodine naturally occurs in shrimp. The darker the brown, the more iodine. The browns off of the Texas coast generally have the most in them and they will tend to have an iodine flavor and even an iodine smell when cooking.

          8 Replies
          1. re: CadienBelle
            l
            latindancer RE: CadienBelle Feb 24, 2009 05:28 PM

            I was raised where most of the seafood I ate came fresh from Alaska....including the shrimp. You're right, though, the browner the shrimp the more iodine.
            The large pink shrimp from Alaska taste the like the sea.

            1. re: latindancer
              CadienBelle RE: latindancer Feb 24, 2009 06:49 PM

              I was also raised on fresh seafood. There's nothing like it.

              I inspected seafood processing plants on the gulf coast for the gov't and I learned a lot about the iodine in the different shrimp. There are even plant owners who won't buy and process the the brown shrimp from Texas because of the iodine and because they say they are hard to sell. They usually try to find a market for them in the midwest.

              Those large pinks you're talking about are wonderful!

              1. re: CadienBelle
                c
                Clarkafella RE: CadienBelle Feb 24, 2009 07:08 PM

                I eat brown shrimp all the time from the Gulf- haven't ever noticed an iodine taste. I *have* noticed a taste like bleach now and then- they sometimes will pour in a little Clorox to keep them from smelling spoiled- yuck!

                1. re: Clarkafella
                  CadienBelle RE: Clarkafella Feb 24, 2009 08:23 PM

                  Nitric acid, sodium sulfite, and sodium hyposulfite are used to prevent the shell from blackening. This causes a bleaching effect, but no clorox should be used to keep them from smelling spoiled.

                  1. re: CadienBelle
                    c
                    Clarkafella RE: CadienBelle Feb 24, 2009 08:36 PM

                    Couldn't agree more- but that doesn't stop it from happening. These days we always buy our shrimp from one source- and *never* have a problem with it.

                    1. re: Clarkafella
                      CadienBelle RE: Clarkafella Feb 24, 2009 08:48 PM

                      I'm glad you've found a reputable dealer. So many people don't know how to buy shrimp. Especially people who don't live near where they are caught. I always tell people to look for shiny shells, no black at the joints and a fresh clean oceany scent. If the shells do have rough feel and are dull they have been treated and are usually old or they were treated with too much bisulfites when first caught to prevent spoilage.

                      1. re: CadienBelle
                        c
                        Clarkafella RE: CadienBelle Feb 24, 2009 09:27 PM

                        This isn't really a dealer- it is an Asian lady in Gulfport, MS whose husband has a boat. My in-laws have bought shrimp from her for many years and have never been burned. She will head them for an extra .25 per pound, and I have never in my life seen someone do that so fast- who knew that two hands and two thumbs could work so quickly!

                        1. re: Clarkafella
                          CadienBelle RE: Clarkafella Feb 25, 2009 12:57 PM

                          Aah... you must be getting your shrimp from a day boat. Very nice and always fresh. Also, no preservatives, as a general rule.

          2. a
            adamshoe RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 07:19 PM

            So what is it about brown shrimp that = iodine? Naturally occuring? Age of the shrimp (before harvesting)? The warmer water? Just curious... adam

            1 Reply
            1. re: adamshoe
              CadienBelle RE: adamshoe Feb 24, 2009 08:07 PM

              Gulf Coast brown shrimp feed off of kelp which is rich in iodine. This is gives them their iodine taste. Most people who live on the gulf coast and who were raised on these shrimp never notice the iodine.

              Also the use of too much of the preservative, sodium bisulfite, can cause an iodine smell. The US strives to monitor the use of sodium bisulfite to only 100 ppm per edible parts of the product.

            2. p
              PAO RE: mattyboy Feb 24, 2009 07:59 PM

              No seafood should ever taste like iodine.

              2 Replies
              1. re: PAO
                monku RE: PAO Feb 24, 2009 08:24 PM

                If you've ever had opihi (limpet) a Hawaiin delicacy.....they grill them over a coffee can with charcoal over chicken wire and serve them with a drop of iodine on them.

                http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=648...

                1. re: monku
                  a
                  adamshoe RE: monku Feb 24, 2009 09:26 PM

                  ooh noo! You ATE the Incredible Mr. Limpet!! Poor Don Knotts... ;) adam

              2. y
                ypman RE: mattyboy Feb 25, 2009 02:26 PM

                Grew up and still live on the Texas coast with neighbors that are shrimpers. There are times when shrimp can have an iodine taste even when fresh and straight from the boat. I tend to find this more often with very large jumbo shrimp. I usually prefer the medium for that reason. Folks in the environmental services office where I work tell me it has to do with what the shrimp feed on. However let me say I do love the neighbor when he shows up with fresh fish and shrimp straight out of the Gulf.

                1. m
                  mattyboy RE: mattyboy Mar 1, 2009 01:38 PM

                  Thanks for the input folks. I had shrimp on the Gulf coast this summer that were wonderful. Perhaps preperation , age , time of season could have an effect also

                  Show Hidden Posts