Steak in New Orleans
I soon will be in New Orleans for several days, and have realized that, despite my being there many, many times, I have never eaten a steak there. I would like to visit one of the old -line steak houses, either Crescent City or Charlie's, or, if those don't pass muster with the Chowhound Nation, another old-line steakhouse ya'll recommend. I thank you in advance for your advice.
We've never done LaBoca, but it has been getting good reviews on this board (and not just from you [Grin]). If we are looking for steaks, we will definitely add it to the mix.
To the OP: there is another thread on "steaks in NOLA," that you might want to read through. Do not think that it was THAT long ago. Lot's of good and recent recs. IIRC, I had mentioned Charlie's, and some recent reviews flowed in. Search this board.
[Edit] Here's the other "steak" thread:
PS last "steak" that I had was at Delmonico, and it was very good. Review is about 18 mos. old now, but you should still be able to find it.
Tom Fitzmorris published this list for the top ten places for Sirloin Strips
1. Delmonico. Lee Circle Area: 1300 St. Charles Ave.. 504-525-4937. Dry-aged in house. Best-trimmed steak around.
2. Mr. John’s Steakhouse. Garden District: 2111 St. Charles Ave.. 504-679-7697. Sizzling in butter, closely trimmed.
3. Ruth’s Chris Steak House. CBD: 228 Poydras (Harrah's Hotel). 504-587-7099. Metairie: 3633 Veterans Blvd. 504-888-3600. The classic steak at the classic New Orleans steakhouse.
4. Keith Young’s Steak House. Madisonville: 165 LA. 21. 985-845-9940. They don't claim prime, but hald-select so well that it may as wel be. Steaks cut off the loin to order.
5. O'Brien's Grille. Gretna: 2020 Belle Chasse Hwy.. 504-391-7229. A rarity: a bone-in strip, which adds even more flavor.
6. Dickie Brennan’s Steakhouse. French Quarter: 716 Iberville. 504-522-2467. Beautiful beef seared in a black iron skillet.
7. Crescent City Steak House. Mid-City: 1001 N. Broad. 504-821-3271. The original New Orleans steakhouse, dry-aged on the premises, sizzling in what looks like butter.
8. Austin's. Metairie: 5101 West Esplanade Ave. . 504-888-5533. A real surprise for a non-steakhouse. The teaks here are as good as in the specialists.
9. Pascal’s Manale. Uptown: 1838 Napoleon Ave.. 504-895-4877. Another unlikely source for steak. Monstrous cut, accurately broiled.
10. Steak Knife. Lakeview: 888 Harrison Ave. 504-488-8981. Back in business and better than ever.