HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >

What do you call...?

Jasz Feb 20, 2009 10:51 PM

a full meal eaten at around 3-4o'clock? Friends and I will often meet at this time for food out of necessity and /or convenience. Sometimes we call it "linner" or "lupper." Other than saying a late lunch or early dinner, is there an official name for such a meal in the middle of the afternoon?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. JonParker RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 02:06 AM

    High tea.

    1. Caralien RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 02:13 AM

      Check out this explanation:

      1. flylice2x RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 02:15 AM

        Dinner....My understanding is that some countries have 4 meals a day.
        Breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper being around 6 - 8pm.

        2 Replies
        1. re: flylice2x
          Caroline1 RE: flylice2x Feb 21, 2009 09:27 PM

          hmmmm.. I was raised with the definitions that "dinner" was a late afternoon or evening meal that occurred before 8:00pm and "supper" was after 8. For the record, I grew up in California, and it seems to me the definition was also underscored in my junior high school home economics classes. People were big on manners and protocols when I grew up. '-)

          Edit: But there were regional variations too. We had neighbors who came to California during WWII from Arkansas, who called lunch "dinner" and dinner "supper." Things could get confusing.

          1. re: Caroline1
            Sharuf RE: Caroline1 Feb 22, 2009 01:30 AM

            Back home on the farm, the midday meal was "dinner" and was the largest meal. The evening meal was "supper" and often featured soup.

        2. p
          phoebek RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 06:35 AM

          Early-bird special!

          1 Reply
          1. re: phoebek
            bubbles4me RE: phoebek Feb 21, 2009 06:56 AM

            We are late eaters so that would fall into the lunch category for us but I have called it linner in the past.

          2. l
            latindancer RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 02:33 PM

            It's called dinner.
            In a part of the middle-east, that I'm very familiar with where temperatures soar late in the morning, breakfast is served early and dinner is served at the time you're indicating.
            It's a healthy way to eat and I'm more inclined to do the same unless i'm going out with people who're used to dining later.

            1. billieboy RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 03:27 PM


              1. Glencora RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 07:37 PM


                1 Reply
                1. re: Glencora
                  enbell RE: Glencora Feb 21, 2009 08:17 PM

                  I can't tell if you're joking, but the running joke in our family uses that exact word! IT was coined for those vague holiday meals that always seem to fall between the hours of 2:00 pm and 4:30 pm. Great minds think alike :)

                2. n
                  nkeane RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 07:45 PM

                  evening wrecker? personally eating a full meal at this hour would be like putting an anvil in my back pocket......i would find a comfy spot, and remain there til the next day. Hence, I resist the temptation. thankfully, the city I live in (Portland, OR) is one of the best HH towns I have ever seen! great for cheap snacks and drinks, the perfect bridge from when I eat lunch(1-2pm) and dinner(830-10pm).

                  1 Reply
                  1. re: nkeane
                    Jasz RE: nkeane Feb 21, 2009 09:19 PM

                    When we have our meal at 3-4 it combines lunch and dinner/supper like brunch does for breakfast and lunch so we haven't eaten lunch and won't be eating another meal later on.

                    Definitely not "snack" as it is a full meal, just eaten at what in NA is considered an odd time. I'm sure those people who say dinner are correct but I've gotten used to using the word as a later-day meal so friends would assume I meant after 6 p.m. Tea may well work.

                    Thanks for the responses so far.

                  2. ipsedixit RE: Jasz Feb 21, 2009 10:42 PM


                    1. Anonimo RE: Jasz Feb 22, 2009 04:30 PM

                      "Comida", here in Mexico. We've adapted somewhat and usually eat dinner/comida at 2 or 3.

                      1. Caralien RE: Jasz Feb 22, 2009 04:33 PM

                        If you need to use a silly term, sinner would also work, as it's between supper (lunch) and dinner (later meal).

                        1 Reply
                        1. re: Caralien
                          Jasz RE: Caralien Feb 22, 2009 05:53 PM

                          I wasn't looking for a silly term, I wanted to know if there was an "official" title.

                        2. Boccone Dolce RE: Jasz Feb 22, 2009 05:39 PM

                          Luner. (pronounced Loo-Ner)

                          1. Servorg RE: Jasz Feb 23, 2009 05:29 AM

                            If you live in Del Boca Vista Florida you call that "late night dining."

                            1. Das Ubergeek RE: Jasz Feb 23, 2009 09:17 AM

                              In rural Minnesota that would be called "lunch" -- dinner is at noon or 1 PM and supper is in the evening after chores are done, so any meal that doesn't match that is "lunch".

                              "I'm having the girls over for a little lunch around four." (Notice that "little" is just self-deprecatory and it could range from a couple of plates of cookies and coffee to a full-on meal featuring a hotdish and a vegetable.)

                              You could also call it "tea", but afternoon tea in England is not normally a dinner-sized meal with savouries. "High tea" is a little later than that and is more like a full meal -- it's the substitute for afternoon tea and the evening meal. Also, if you call it "high tea" there's the danger that someone will think you're from Yorkshire.

                              Show Hidden Posts