HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >


A better thing for peeling veggies?

I've always used the old fashioned straight thing for pealing potatoes, apples, carrots....the one with two blades that can run either way on a carrot. It doesn' t help that I don't know the proper name for what I do use.
Now on Top Chef, I've seen contestants using a different pealer, one that has a curved pealing blade and that sort of looks like half of an eyelash crimper (sorry if that is too old fashioned a reference, but there aren't many things that shape).

Anyway, is the TC thing an improvement, what do you call it, and where do you buy it. (Unless it doesn't work.)

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I use my standard peeler, still have it, still works. I guess I am a old fashioned cook, I can cook with a simple knife and spoon and plain old pots and pans. To me it is the cook and not the equipment. Technically a small knife would work too rather than a peeler. I make do with whatever I have. I don't replace anything until it breaks, and then me ... I don't spend top dollar. I buy medium priced, decent quality.

    I know what you mean and have seen them. I would probably go back to my old standard unless I got it as a gift.

    1. hmm, I have a hard time visualizing what you mean.

      A lot of swivel peelers are kind of eyelash curler shaped, but the blades themselves are straight. Haven't seen the curved blade one on TC.

      1. A Y peeler? It has more of a slingshot appearance? I can't think of anything else it could be, but you can buy them online in various places like Amazon. It still has the same straight blade as the standard peeler, so I don't really know whether it would be better. It probably just depends on how you prefer to hold the peeler. To me it just seems like the standard is more intuitive.

        1 Reply
        1. re: queencru

          That's it, I'm sure. There are no widely available peelers (if any) that have a curved blade. It's no better or worse for peeling veggies. The ones seen on Top Chef are simply a Y peeler. There are countless manufacturers as queen mentioned.



          1. re: Jack_

            Pretty much the same idea as a Y peeler isn't it?

            1. re: HaagenDazs

              Yea, pretty much but I like the handle and how you hold it better than a Y type

              1. re: Jack_

                Gotcha - it is a wider hand-hold, you're right.

                1. re: HaagenDazs

                  And you really gotta watch the videos of Joe Ades with this thing. I first saw him in 1990 and would often see him around selling these things, what a master

                  1. re: Jack_

                    I didn't realize he had died, wow. I did get a glimpse of him in Union Square. I bought one of these from a different salesman who was set up here in DC, at Eastern Market, who was also a whiz. It's a great peeler, way better than what I had before. It did help to have had him show me how to use it -- without him correcting my technique, I would have thought it was nothing special. Not that I can do what those salesmen can with it.

            2. re: Jack_

              Thanks for the youtube site. I saw the obit, but I did not know about the video. Makes me want to go buy a peeler!!

            3. We have the Oxo straight ones and a Kyocera yoke-style with the ceramic blade. The Kyocera is a recent replacement for an earlier one that vaporized. I really like it, but the handle isn't as comfortable as the earlier version, and you have to adjust how you hold stuff to use it.

              1. I've been using a Y-peeler for about 15 years. Much easier than the straight ones. Bought my first one at Williams & Sonoma. It finally died about 1 year ago. Replaced it with an OXO from BBB. I would never go back to the straight-style ones.

                1 Reply
                1. re: masha

                  I switched to a Y type and it's much better than the straight ones.

                2. Thank you all for the excellent leads.
                  I now know what to ask for, because I also see that I need to see if the other peelers will fit my hand.

                  One of the reasons for this is growing more of our own food. Two heritage apple trees are finally producing (Arkansas Blacks are really productive, they make apples that store very well, BUT the apples were small after last years drought.) So the conventional peeler takes swaths of 1/2" peels and if I could find a peeler with a slightly more flexible blade (possibly the harp), I could peel small apples much quicker.

                  2 Replies
                  1. re: shallots

                    There are possibly flexible blade peelers available but none of the ones listed above are flexible. The harp style peeler mentioned above is by no means flexible - not even in the slightest. Tungsten carbide is one of the hardest materials available anywhere.

                    1. re: shallots

                      I can't get comfortable with a Y peeler. I think it has to do with how you prefer to hold your peeler. I am sure that they all work the same.

                    2. I prefer the Y-shape, but as others have said, it's a personal preference. The only thing new under the sun in peelers is the serrated peelers that came out a few years ago. These are great, easy to use, and you can peel soft fruits like kiwis and peaches with them.

                      Like this: http://www.chefsresource.com/messerme...

                      1. Harp- or Y-style are very much a personal preference. I have both, and I rarely use the harp. I simply have more control with the straight-blade ones. I got the OXO with the replaceable blades, and it's the best peeler I've ever had with zero exceptions. My harp is a spendy Japanese ceramic one and it's sharp as can be, but I just can't manipulate it as well.

                        1 Reply
                        1. re: dmd_kc

                          There are 3 peeler types that I see used - normal, serrated, and julienne... I guess you could consider the multi-slicer (or "rake") that some chefs use to slice scallions a sort of peeler extreme.