My family and I went to Gin Sushi on Colorado in Pasadena today for lunch. The reviews on yelp were fairly good. Always wanted to try Gin Sushi as around dinner time it always looks crowded and busy, but never got the chance until today and I'm glad I've never gone there before because I'd be a fool to give it another try.
My family had a party of six and the service was terrible. The waitress was very inattentive, basically took our order and we never saw her again.
The food was like the Panda Express of Japanese food. Quasi sushi crap.
1. Salmon Teriyaki - The salmon teriyaki comes with rice and salad and a tiny filet of salmon on a huge bigger than your butt plate. Expecting great soft melt in your mouth great salmon, I got instead a dry flaky mess covered in overly sweet sauce. The piece of fish was WAYYY overcooked.
- Bowl of white rice: Dry. lukewarm. tastes like last nights rice. Seriously?! they can't even get a bowl of rice right? At home, we eat rice every night and I'd say it tasted like microwaved rice from two nights ago that sat in the fridge soaking up fridge flavor. For a japanese restaurant that fails at making at least decent rice, its an automatic F in my book.
- Salad was just okay. Nothing special. Romaine lettuce doused in a sweet and sour juice.
2. Rolls: The rolls were just dreadful. They fell apart at the touch of my fingers, some of the pieces not completely rolled up at all. They looked like the failed creation of a high school cooking class. We had their tuna roll, california roll and spicy tuna roll.
- California Roll - Very poorly put together. Six pieces stuck together. the touch the rice in the mouth was like rice straight from sitting in the fridge overnight- dry and crispy. They were also very poorly put together; rice not even reaching 360 degrees around......with their tiny bit of imitation crab leaking out...................... . .... By then I was pissed.
- Spicy Tuna and Tuna Roll - Much of the same like the california roll. oddly shaped and very poorly put together.
I like the cozy ambience and friendly ness of the sushi chef/owner but the food and service was just terrible. Absolutely not going there ever again. If a sushi restaurant can't even get its rice right, then...I don't know what to say. It was really really bad.
Rating 3.0 Out of 10
Maybe I got them on a bad day but seriously rice? cmon now.