Chocolate Chip Cookie Collecting...
Trying to pinpoint five or six of the best chocolate chip cookies (or a slight variation on chocolate chip) in Manhattan to put together into a V-day present. So far I am considering Ruby et Violette and Insomnia, but need a few others. Any thoughts? Thanks.
In addition to the chocolate chunk cookie at Ruby et Violette, I've enjoyed chocolate chip cookies from
- Levain Bakery (chocolate chocolate chip, actually)
- chocolate-chip peanut butter cookie from Billy's Bakery (but not the chocolate chip cookie)
- Chocolate Bar (48 8th Ave @ 12th St)
- Jacques Torres
350 Hudson St, New York, NY 10014
184 9th Ave, New York, NY 10011
167 W 74th St, New York, NY 10023
The best that I have found are at Paradise To Go a small take out shop on 4th ave by 12th st. (NY Mag liked them as well). The are thick and buttery, amazing.
I like Jacks, and and Joes too, agree that Insomnia is not great and I actually do not like Jacques Torres (though love the hot chocolate) But it depends on the style of cookie you like.
Where is Ruby et Violette now?
I looked for them recently and couldn't find them!
As for other favorites I do think that Babycakes is quite nice.
The best used to be at Marlow and Sons in Brooklyn but since they've changed pastry chefs in June their sweets have suffered a bit.
I've done a lot of first-hand research on this important topic. Here are my top choice chocolate chip cookies:
* Chocolate Bar (3rd floor of Henri Bendel's) - just a wonderful not too hard, not too tender cookie. delicious.
* Petrossian's Cafe (911 7th Ave between 57 and 58) - large, fluffier, melt in your mouth
* Baked - 359 Brunt St. (Red Hook) (possibly available at Royale Cafe in the West Village, 461 Sixth Ave at 11th st) - the cookies are similar to those at Chocolate Bar
* Jacques Torres - a large, crisper cookie. Unsurprisingly, uses excellent chocolate.
* Cookshop - can get an order of warm cookies fresh-baked. These are on the darker, more brown-sugar side, and they're somewhat smaller.
* Dessert Delivery - this is a vague memory, but I remember liking their chocolate chip cookies a good bit I think. They're at 360 E. 55th St., just west of 1st Ave.
Also good but not as good as the above:
Jack's Stir Brew
Levain (definitely overrated in my opinion, but interesting for the experience of a ginormous warm cookie with an underbaked inside)
Betsy's Place cookies (available at some Oren's locations)
Ruby et Violette (softer, chewier)
Struck me as quite average:
Paradise to Go
Surprisingly good for the price and pedigree:
McDonald's chocolate chip cookies (especially because they're warm)
The Vegetarian New Yorker: http://vegny.blogspot.com/