Calgary Food Shopping
Been in Calgary about three months now, have discovered many of the food products we typically use, however still looking for some, such as:
1. Fresh fava beans. Do they make an appearance at any time of the tear?
2. Fresh garlic, not from China. Ivory coloured skins with purple streaks. The Chinese garlic just isn't that fresh, though it is inexpensive.
3. Veal: Not so much looking as I have found it at Co-op, in very limited cuts and quantities, but wondering why there is not a significant source. I'd have thought the past BSE issues would have caused some growth in the local veal industry.
4. Dehulled soybeans. Gotta try and make some tempeh.
I've seen 1. at Italian Super market as well but not year round, 2. at the Currie Barrack's farmer's market but again not year round, 3. I like BonTon meat market (I go to Stadium Shopping centre) or the S. African butcher on Kensington Rd. NW between 20th and 21st Streets on the north side, 4... no clue, sorry.
1. Fresh fava beans were at farmer's market only in season, about June, July, August
2. Garlic at the farmer's market in season, ie summer
3. Veal at Sunterra, Lina's, MacEwans Meats, Bon Ton Market, Crossroads Market (can't remember the name of the meat shop but there is only one or two) or any good butcher
2. Garlic: Planet Organic, Community Natural Foods, Amaranth, Calgary Farmer's Market (Blush Lane, and some of the seasonal vendors like Walker's Own and the produce stall behind Lund's will be your best bets) I saw the chinese garlic at Superstore too but I've also been avoiding it... maybe it's paranioa but I've listened to one recall too many.
3. Veal: 2nd the rec for Lina's and BonTon. I can't say Veal is usually on my shopping list but I'd say they'd be your best bet. On the subject of meat, we order Bison from: http://www.crmr.com/ranch/products.php Canadian Rocky Mountain Ranch. They'll deliver your order no charge to downtown restos.
4. Hulled soybeans: ditto annynstar, I get mine at Superstore, in the Organic/Natural food aisle in the freezer too - and at Planet O.