Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
Feb 4, 2009 07:54 AM

Who do I contact?

Who do I contact to find out if there are any options for culinary related business at HOME?
I don't know what yet, but wanted to talk to somebody (city,state or maybe federal agency?) about it. I do not want to get in trouble, since we are talking of some sort of food/cooking/sales.... Any ideas?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. If you are asking for ideas about culinary related businesses, I am not sure that there are resources for that. Usually people start with ideas and then check laws & regulations to find if they are legal.

    That said, if you want to find out about the legality of home related culinary/food businesses, you can contact your local health department. If you are talking about cooking at home it may be a challenge to do it within the law as the kitchen has to be inspected and passed by the health dept--think liability for food borne illnesses. Have you looked into renting time/space in a commercial kitchen?

    1. Defintely start with the Board of Health, Health Dept, or whatever your town calls it. You might also need FDA info (and probably a test lab) to list appropriate nutrition info and allergy statements. You'll probably also need to register with your state's Revenue Department as well as the IRS.

      1. You'll also need a business license for the area (city, county, etc.) you plan to open. The gov't. will get you in its many-tentacled ways.