Yuzu San Mateo omakase special
For those that prefer a little something cooked and raw.
From their blog:
Yuzu Monthly Omakase Course (Feb 09)
$55 Per Person
1. Plum Sauce Marinated Snapper and Yamaimo
2. Saba Oroshi Nimono
3. Fried Scallop & Shiitake Spicy Ponzu
4. Grilled Rolled Beef Asparagus
5. Chef’s Choice Sushi
6. Asari & Enoki Miso Soup
7. Dessert (Yuzu Special Version)
Yuzu Monthly Omakase Course
w/Premium Sake Pairing
$76 Per Person
1. Plum Sauce Marinated Snapper and Yamaimo / Kamozuru
2.Saba Oroshi Nimono / Oyama
3. Fried Scallop & Shiitake Spicy Ponzu / Okuno Matsu
4. Grilled Rolled Beef Asparagus / Masumi
5.Chef’s Choice Sushi / Kamosibito Kuheiji
6.Asari & Enoki Miso Soup
7. Dessert (Yuzu Special Version) / Nigori Sake
Any reports greatly appreciated.
I went with my friend last Thursday. The place doesn't seem very busy these days on the weeknights. Overall food was great. The sushi dish is (if I recall correctly) six pieces. I only remember three: maguro, chutoro and amaebi (with the head deep fried and served on the side). Yoichi-san was funny was always; ask to see his Nozawa-san (of Sakae) impression.
Yuzu has a part time pastry chef with experience right out of Kyoto Japan. If they still offer it, make it a priority to try their black sesame (kurogoma) creme brulee. It's fantastic.
Osho, you need to try this dessert absolutely. The two piece of chocolate cake stick that accompany it, taste like Ayumi-san's Mt Fuji chocolate cake from Koo!