Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Wine >
Feb 2, 2009 05:56 AM

Is there a wine tasting term for this?

As I've written before, I've been sampling various inexpensive Spanish and Portuguese reds. Last night I opened one that will be a keeper, but not for some obvious trait. It's still an everyday wine, but it's better than my others. The word I'd choose is "solid," in the direction of a bordeaux, but not tannic, not fruity, not complex, not tending to sweet, Medium-bodied but satisfying in that it doesn't seem deficient in that regard. It's balanced, definitely easy-drinking.

Primavera Bairrada 2005 Riserva, Portugal

Just curious. Maybe it's "just wine." :)

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. There's a school of wine criticism (primarily English) that finds American wine writing deficient in that it is fixated on describing individual flavor elements but cannot/does not adequately convey the nature/gestalt of the wine. I think it was Michael Broadbent who described this style as the "Fruit Salad" school of wine writing. I got a fine sense of the wine you were describing from your description and concur that "solid" is an informative term.

      1. So does "balanced and easy-drinking."

        1. You described the wine well. Solid is a good word. Balanced and easy drinking are very good terms. There are some others that describe that quality of solidity, though each of them has a specific nuance in usage: heft, fullness, weight, presence, and structure. If the wine is round in its flavor, it can be described as fleshy or voluptuous. Glad you found a wine that was a keeper and can become a "solid" part of your "repertoire."

          1. I'd typify this as a "balanced" wine, and one that you like.


            Oh poop! ML beat me to it.