Cemitas Poblanas truck @ Pico & Fairfax
attention westside/Pico-Robertson hounds: you now have a new option for good mexican eats in the area.
i just had my second cemita poblana at a truck near Pico and Fairfax, and it was very good. here's the rundown.
- the first time i at there i had the milanesa (breaded steak cutlet). it was excellent. not thin or chewy like a lot of milanesa tends to be.
- today i opted for the carnitas. they were flavorful and tender and moist. they weren't the crispy michoacan style carnitas that i prefer that have the browned bits, but they were good nonetheless. the dude was generous with the meat, almost to the point where the sandwich was TOO meaty. the only criticism i have of the carnitas is that they almost overwhelm the sandwich, making it taste too one-dimensional. maybe asking them to mix some adobo from the chipotles into the carnitas before scooping them into the sandwich would help.
the rest of the sandwich:
- the avocado, cheese, chipotle, etc were all good and in the right proportions. the avocado was extremely creamy and almost acted as a sauce. the oaxacan string cheese was much more flavorful (and salty) than the stuff i've bought at stores.
- the bread was the only weird part of the sandwich. it's a bit chewy. not in a crusty way. just chewy. i'm not a cemitas expert by any means, but i don't know if the bread is supposed to be that chewy. hopefully some more-experienced cemitas-eaters can chime in.
- these things are HUGE. like torta cubana from casita chilanga in redwood city, CA huge. i'm a pretty good eater, but these things push the limit.
- given how hard it is to find mexican food north of the 10, west of k-town and east of overland, this place is a godsend. that fact might be causing me to give them extra points, but if that's the case, so be it.
- the truck is staffed by two men who seem pretty nice and energetic. they said the truck is in the vicinity of pico and fairfaix from 9am-9pm. early in the morning they're on the south side of pico right next to the mcdonalds. they told me that later in the day they park in the parking lot of a laundrymat near pico/fairfax.
- $5 for a cemita, cash only.
- they have a big ice compartment of sodas and juices. they also appear to serve tacos and some other items, but i was there for the cemitas.
- the truck has a big multicolored sign on the back that says CEMITAS POBLANAS. i feel like i've seen that same sign on other trucks.
- the front right of the truck above the wheelwell says "Poblano Catering" but the menu on the left side says "Jocelyn".
- they guy said business has been decent, but i'm sure they wouldn't mind all the westside CH'ers paying them a visit.
try it out and let me know what you think!!!