There is Actually a LOT of Good Food in Binghamton
Okay, so I've been reading through posts, as I'm new on here, and I found a lot that complained about the lack of good food in Binghamton, NY. Well, as one who lived there for three years, I can tell you there is a LOT of good food there. If you want to complain about a lack of good food, move to where I live now....
So, to help out, I've compiled a list of my former hot spots...in no particular order:
1. CONSOL'S - holy crap, the BEST Italian food ever. My parents have been to Italy three times and said the margherita pizza at Consol's is the best they've ever had. I also think they have the most delicious Italian dressing, and if you really want to go overboard, get the salad with crumble bleu AND Italian.....mmmm. Also, the service is fast and super friendly, and the prices are ridiculously cheap. Much better than Anthony's (though they're pretty good) and WAY better than overpriced Cortese's.
2. THE LOST DOG - this is a great little spot downtown. They have all kinds of food, and it is all extremely tasty. My personal favorites are the sun-dried tomato appetizer, the greek chicken, their sweet potato fries, and the molten chocolate cake dessert (can't remember what it's called, but it is gooooood). The menu is a bit more pricey, but not so pricey that it can only be enjoyed on special occassions.
3. LEMONGRASS - yummy, yummy, yummy Asian fusion restaurant. A little Indian, a little Thai, a little Chinese...a LOT delicious. They spring rolls are my favorite ever, and their curries are exceptional. Watch out for the heat - it can definitely bite, but they're very good about cooking it to your desired spice level. This may be one you want to save for special occassions, which is totally okay because the decor is super chic.
4. THE DUGOUT - moving back to the more casual, the Dugout has the BEST wings I have ever had.....and I've been to the Anchor Bar - birthplace of wings. You could find me and my husband there every Tuesday night for $0.25 wings, a nice greasy pizza and their delicious cheese bread. I guarantee once you go there, you won't be able to eat wings anywhere else.
5. KAMPAI - an excellent Japanese restaurant. They have three areas of the restaurant, a normal sit-down side, a sushi bar and the hibachi where they cook in front of you. It is a little pricey, but you get so much food, you absolutely always leave stuffed. Their soup is so tastey, the salad dressing is laced with some kind of drug I swear, and all of the entrees are delicious. If you want to add even more yumminess to your meal, try the gyoza - hello!!!
6. LAMPY'S - so, most people in Binghamton will rant and rave about a restaurant called Number 5 - ignore them. Instead, check out Lampy's. Lampy's is a mediterranean grill (amazingly owned by the Number 5 people) with wonderful decor, atmosphere, service and, of course, food. They start you out with this to die for bread plate with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grated asiago, red pepper and an entire bulb of roasted garlic - seriously, I could eat nothing but that bread play for the rest of my life it is that good. My absolute favorite entree is the greek-stuffed filet, and my husband has yet to find a better creme brulee. It is definitely for special occassions only, as it is very upscale and priced so - but trust me, it is worth every penny.
7. BIG DIPPER - the best time in Binghamton is from March to September when the Big Dipper stand is open in Apalachian. It is just this little roadside barbeque service the most AMAZING barbeque chicken in the universe. (No, that is NOT an exaggeration). For like $7.00 (if I remember correctly), you get a half chicken, two sides and a roll. Sides options at the time we left included potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, baked beans, bean salad and (my personal favorite) melt in your mouth salt potatoes. I took my 87-year-old boss there and I swore he was going to have a heart attack he was trying to eat so fast - he went back every week thereafter.
8. NIRCHI'S - there are a lot of pizza places in Binghamton, but Nirchi's definitely won our hearts (Vestal Bakery, on the other hand, did NOT). I don't even know how many kinds of pizza they have, but it is aaaalllllllllllll good. Our favorite were the tomato & basil pizza and the hot wing pizza. SO GOOD and completely affordable as far as pizza goes.
9. LICKETY SPLIT - I wouldn't feel right if I didn't include my favorite ice cream place. Lickety Split is a tiny little shop in Vestal we used to visit weekly. They have hard ice cream, soft ice cream, frozen yogurt, sundaes, milkshakes and about 50 topping choices. I know people think Cold Stone has the best ice cream topping, but everybody is wrong - Lickety Split does. And it's SUPER cheap - bonus!
10. CALIFORNIA GRILL - some people might cock their head at this one, but this is a great little diner/grill/bar/whatever when you just don't know what you're in the mood for. They have everything from nachos to seafood to pasta, and it's all quite tasty. My personal favorite were the Thai spice wings - totally took me by surprise! It's clean, it's cheap, it's fast and it really is perfect when you're just not sure what you want.
So there you go - 10 absolutely delicious places to eat in Binghamton, NY. Oh, and if you're wondering why there's no spiedie selection on here.....I was never really a fan. Bon appetit!