How to enjoy PEARS without Cheese?
- val ann c Jan 5, 2009 02:21 PM
Our house has gone gluten-free and dairy-free. I've learned new ways to enjoy most fresh fruit without cheese --- except for pears. Aside from glorious chesse, what are some good accompaniments for pears?
a few ideas:
- they're great with prosciutto or pork tenderloin
- spread slices with almond butter (a variation on apples with PB)
- slice into in a salad with bitter greens, sweet red onions, toasted sliced almonds, and balsamic or citrus vinaigrette
- mix diced pears into chicken salad, or as a substitute for apples in Waldorf salad
- poach for a delicious, healthy & elegant dessert. there are so many ways to flavor them: vanilla, ginger & cardamom, red wine or port with cinnamon, reduced balsamic, chocolate syrup (i happen to love pears with chocolate)...
- and though i'm not a proponent of soy, you could eat them with soy yogurt
Chocolate is a natural with pears. Or drizzle with some honey and top with some chopped nuts, pecans are great with pears.
How about poaching them in wine and spices. I did some bosc pears this past weekend in a mixture of Cab (Zin is better for poaching), jamacia flowers, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and vanilla.
I'm not the biggest pear/apple fan, so when I know I need to eat some, I try to sprinkle some very dark molasses brown sugar on them. They are wonderful. I'm sure just brown sugar would work the same, I just like the added depth of flavor. Also, raisins are nice with pears. I recently had some leftover ice wine and we cut up some pears and other fruit, they were divine with the ice wine. Oh, and I've also put them in salads before with walnuts, spinach, and blue cheese, but I guess you have to leave that out.