HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >


Brand Names of Restaurant Style Frypans?

I really want one of the skillets seen in commercial kitchens. You know...the ones that are tossed this way and that and then into sink. I want one so bad. I don't know which they typically are...carbon steel, aluminum...I don't know. Help and advice.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Lincoln Wearever makes abuse proof aluminum pans that are available at any restaurant supply store, as does Volrath. If you want non-stick pans, look for pans that use the CeramiGaurd or Excalibur process. They are available for $20-40 in any restaurant supply store and via the 'net.

    I have a few carbon steel fry pans that are very traditional Europe, but they are quite rare in the US. I prefer the pans with the cast handle but the stamped handles are quite serviceable, but they are not as comfortable.

    1. In the kitchen's that I've been in, they often use very big heavy pans. Look at http://www.jbprince.com/cookware/cook...

      Sitram Catering line is popular.

      1. Besides (Lincoln) Wear-Ever and Vollrath. Carlisle
        also makes popular aluminum pans.

        I have French-made, carbon steel pans moderatly priced from
        Chef's Catalog. Brand wasn't specified, but they're very satisfactory.
        Carbon steel brands are not well-known, so I'd
        suggest doing a search on "carbon steel pan
        restaurant supply" (no quotes).

        Places I've ordered from include Surfas,
        Web Restaurant and Restaurant Source.

          1. I suspect you have in mind the aluminum ones that others have mentioned. The key point is that the metal is thick, and handle attached with 3 big rivets.

            Others mention carbon steel. If you already have experience with seasoning cast iron or steel (such as a wok), this is worth considering. I really like my steel crepe pan for specialized things like crepes and omelets. But for small portions of scrambled eggs I use a nonstick aluminum pan that I got from the restaurant aisle at Samsclub (sold in sets of 2).

            1. What's the pros and cons to carbon steel and aluminum? Any body use these regularly?

              1 Reply
              1. re: sasserwazr

                They're cheap and lightweight. Aluminum has good heat conduction.

              2. At my saute station I have a big stack of All-Clads. We buy the MC2 seconds. I believe we get them at cookwarenmore.com. At home, my favorite restaurant quality pan is a Meyer.

                1. Go to a restaurant supply store that sells retail and load up. I'm not sure that I've ever bought the same brand twice at my local place, but then I'm buying them years apart - I'm sure they source from whatever cheap (but acceptable) maker they can find at the moment. The place I use in Lowell MA is United Restaurant Supply - their web site says commercial sales only, but if you walk in to their store with a Visa, they'll sell you anything.

                  I bought a Bourgeat evasee pan from PCD years ago - it cost a lot more than the restaurant supply store and didn't last any longer. But I liked the evasee depth and round corners - like a cross between a sautee and a fry. Notice that their copper/steel lined pans are more than 2x the aluminum.

                  2 Replies
                  1. re: applehome

                    Ive never seen a copper pan wear out, even in commercial uses, so I'm eager to learn what happened to your Bourgeat evasse'. You might want to look at All-Clad sauciers because they have the same pan shape as the evasee..

                    1. re: Kelli2006

                      No- I didn't buy the copper/steel, I bought the Aluminum/teflon. The teflon wore out, as is normal in terms of wear and tear. In fact, the pan was still undented, unwarped - really well made, handle and all. I even looked around for some sort of re-tefloning service. I had bought the aluminum/teflon Bourgeat at about $80, where I buy similar sized (but not as deep) pans at the restaurant supply store for $20-30, and they last as long - so the Bourgeat aluminum/teflon is not worth it IMO. I do have an all-clad saute (steel clad, not teflon) - it's a huge thing that I absolutely love but don't use that often - maybe when I'm doing 6 or more thin chops, pan steaks or flattened filets at a time, with the intent of deglazing/saucing. I use the teflons every day - eggs, bacon, sauces and gravies. I'd love to have more all-clad - I'll look into the sauciers when I have some money.

                  2. I have both carbon steel fry pans and nonstick aluminum frying pans from the local restaurant suppy stores (the brand is Winnco if that helps). I like both, but they really serve different purposes for me. I use the nonsticks for eggs mostly, which I cook over very low heat. And, I toss them directly into the dishwasher. When they show any wear, I replace them - not a big deal since they're pretty inexpensive.

                    I use the carbon steels for things that I want to cook at a higher temperature or that I want to put under the broiler. They're great for that. But, they also require more care since you have to be aware of keeping them seasoned.

                    Good luck!


                    1 Reply
                    1. re: MEH

                      I have the same philosophy regarding non-stick. I bought a pack of 2 8" from Samsclub sometime ago. One is in reserve. The other is used for dishes where the non-stick is important, such as eggs. An older non-stick with intact, but not egg-quality non-stick, is used for things like sauces.

                      I also have a small bare aluminum from a restaurant supply store. By now it's become my beater pan. For example yesterday I used it to toast some cumin seeds, which is essentially heating a nearly bare pan at medium high.

                      I like having a variety of materials and sizes, and then picking the one that best suits the task.

                    2. Can wine be used in either of these materials?

                      1 Reply
                      1. re: sasserwazr

                        I would not braise w/ red wine in either aluminum or carbon steel but you can certainly construct a sauce in either pan.