Calling All Vegetarian Times Subscribers!!! Urgent!!!
Apple Butter <makes 24oz>
4lbs apples, stemmed and quartered
1c. cider vinegar
2c. light or dark brown sugar
1&1/2 tsp. groun cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1. Place apples and vinegar in a large pot and add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook 45 minutes to 60 minutes, or until apples have softened completely. Put mixture through a sieve or food mill; discard skin and seeds. Place pulp in a large ovenproof casserole dish/dutch oven.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Add sugar and spices to pulp, stir well. Bake for 2-2&1/2 hours, or until mixture thickens to a spreadable consistency, stir every 15 minutes.
3. Sterilize jars and lids: Place jars in a large pot that is filled halfway with simmering water; ensure jars are submerged completely. Place the lids in a smaller pot of simmering water. Leave the jars and lids in the hot water until ready to use.
4. Remove jars one at a time from the hot water, then fill with jam, making sure to leave a quarter inch head space in each. Seal with lids. Place a canning rack or cake cooling rack in the bottom of the large pot, return the sealed jars to the pot, and add extra water to ensure there's 1 inch water over top the jars. Bring water to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and cool completely.
Easy Kiwi Jam (makes 48oz)
4lbs. kiwis, halved
4 cups sugar
1/4 c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Peel/skin/scoop kiwi halves into a large pot and discard the skins. Mascerate kiwi flesh until smooth; stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Bring mixture up to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
3. Sterilize jars and lids in the same way as the apple butter recipe, leave the jars and lids in the water until ready for use.
4. Fill each jar, leaving a 1/4 inch headspace, seal and return to large pot (now with canning rack in the bottom) adding extra water to ensure there is 1 inch water over top the jars. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove jars from water and cool.