HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
What have you made lately? Share your food adventure
TELL US

Melting white chocolate -- burned it! Can I resurrect it?

a
AkL Dec 21, 2008 07:52 AM

I melted about 2 lbs of white chocolate in the microwave (know I know, too much!!) and the center of the pile of white choc chunks burned. Some was black, most was a pale tan.

I stuck it in the fridge overnight, and I picked away the burned bits.

My question is, will it remelt? Or am I going to have dark choc only peppermint bark (which is ok, just not what I planned)?

  1. c
    chocolateman Dec 21, 2008 08:54 AM

    The chocolate should be able to melt but taste it to make sure it's not bitter or some other off taste.

    1. JK Grence the Cosmic Jester Dec 21, 2008 11:27 AM

      My experience with burning chocolate is that the whole pile picks up the scorched taste. Break off a chunk and give it a taste. If it tastes fine (which I highly doubt it will), then you'll be OK to re-melt it. But don't keep your hopes up, and next time use a bowl set over a pan of simmering water.

      1 Reply
      1. re: JK Grence the Cosmic Jester
        m
        MEH Dec 22, 2008 10:19 AM

        Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. When I've burned chocolate in the past, I've had to toss it all because the remaining chocolate tends to taste a bit like charcoal!

        Good luck!
        Mary
        www.BestinKitchen.com

      2. babette feasts Dec 22, 2008 12:17 AM

        Chances of resuscitation are slim.

        Next time, stir, stir, stir!

        1. im_nomad Dec 22, 2008 05:20 AM

          the same thing happened to me this week, with thankfully a much smaller quantity, as i was just making a little chocolate mold decoration for a cake. I wondered the same thing. I tossed it. What a reek it made in the kitchen !

          I always figure if making batches....there's a good chance SOMETHING's gonna burn.....sucks though, white chocolate isn't cheap !

          Show Hidden Posts