HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >

Old corn syrup-still good?

BeeZee Dec 16, 2008 05:32 AM

have a bottle of light corn syrup in the pantry, it's at least 2 years old...still O.K. to use?
you can tell I don't make sweets very often...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. pitu RE: BeeZee Dec 16, 2008 05:40 AM

    should be fine, particularly if it was never opened.
    have a look to see if there's mold on top, but I've never had that problem

    4 Replies
    1. re: pitu
      BeeZee RE: pitu Dec 16, 2008 05:44 AM

      It was opened, I only used a tiny bit about 2 years ago.
      Feh, the stuff is cheap enough, I should just buy a new bottle...unless there is a recipe for making it yourself?

      1. re: BeeZee
        goodhealthgourmet RE: BeeZee Dec 16, 2008 06:16 AM

        seriously, unless you see mold, it's fine.

        1. re: goodhealthgourmet
          Morganna RE: goodhealthgourmet Dec 16, 2008 06:23 AM

          Ditto. No mold, it's fine. :)

        2. re: BeeZee
          Ruth Lafler RE: BeeZee Dec 16, 2008 11:25 AM

          The stuff lasts forever. Use it. Why buy a new bottle when it will only sit for two years!? <g>

      2. Sooeygun RE: BeeZee Dec 16, 2008 05:50 AM

        I just finished a bottle that I had for at least 3 years. Had to microwave it to get the last couple of tablespoons out, but it has been fine for the whole time.

        2 Replies
        1. re: Sooeygun
          m
          mdelno RE: Sooeygun Dec 16, 2008 10:44 AM

          I keep my opened bottle in the refrigerator to help prevent mold from growing. Since I use very little, I've kept it for years.

          1. re: mdelno
            Ruth Lafler RE: mdelno Dec 16, 2008 11:29 AM

            I don't think keeping it in the fridge makes a significant difference in whether it gets moldy. Molds grow in the fridge, although not as quickly as at room temp. The real factor is whether it's contaminated by mold in the first place, which if it's in a bottle that you pour out of (rather than spoon out of) is unlikely. I've kept it opened for years without any sign of mold. In fact, it never occurred to me that it could grow mold.

        Show Hidden Posts