Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Dec 15, 2008 06:00 AM

Bundt Pan vs. Tube Pan?

I have a cake recipe I'd like to make that calls for a bundt pan. Unfortunately, I don't have one (and don't really want to buy one) but do have a tube pan. Will the results be the same? Thanks!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. bundt pan is just a fancier form of a tube pan. Provided the capacity is comparable, the recipe should work fine in your tube pan. Like with all cakes , make sure to test for doneness with toothpick, and other guidelines - dont rely definitively on the cooking time in the recipe

    1. Agreed, use the tube pan. An angel food pan would also work. (Tube pans have a wider, non-tapering center tube. Angel food pans have either solid or removable bottoms, and a tapering tube that extends above the rim. I believe that has something to do with leaving it turned upside down to cool? I also use my solid-bottom angel food pan as a vertical roaster for chicken - if you jam the bird onto the center tube neck end down, the juice from the legs bastes the breast and since they are protected from direct heat, are less likely to overcook.)

      4 Replies
      1. re: greygarious

        Martin Yan (Yan Can Cook) uses one to cut the Kernals off corn

          1. re: TrishUntrapped

            Them must be very narrow corn cobs to run through a tube, or the tube is bigger than mine.

            1. re: Karl S

              I don't know, but I imagine he doesn't "run" the cobs through the tube, but rather sets the cob on top of the tube, then cuts with his knife down the side of the cob, letting the kernels drop into the pan below. It's like turning a cup upside down inside a bowl, which is how I was taught to cut corn off the cob.

        1. re: Shrinkrap

          That blogger certainly has attitude! Her total rejection of using an alternative type of pan indicates she's out of touch with the type and extent of equipment owned by novice cooks, people with very small kitchens, or those who do not have time to do much cooking/baking.

          And she's wrong on several points. A tube pan and an angel food pan are NOT synonymous. There are one-piece angel food pans, and there are non-fluted (that is, NOT Bundt) tube pans in various depths and with various diameters of tube. The Bundt she pictures is atypical in that its tube is wider than those of the vast majority of modern tube pans. Here's an example of a non-angel, non-Bundt tube pan. It has a flat bottom but some are rounded, just not decoratively.

          1. re: greygarious

            Okay, thanks. I went with a Bundt pan for Elvis Presley's favorite pound cake.

            1. re: greygarious

              My KE blog post was written to be informative: explain the similarities, talk about the differences and, discuss why "consideration should be given to substituting one pan for the other". At no time did I totally reject anything -- it can be done, sometimes. Sometimes, it can result in a cake wreck. Bundt pans have been around for a very long time, and, the one pictured in my photo was purchased in Europe -- which is precisely why I chose to use it as an example. Yes the tube is wider, which I why I went on to discuss how important it is to measure the volume, and, explain how to do that. As for novice cooks or people with small kitchens, I had hoped that taking the time to write this post would help a person in that situation decide what type of pan to purchase. I apologize for any "attitude" you read into my writing. I am really the most non-judgemental foodie in the world!