that are not spam.
Here are mine so far:
1. 1/2 roast chicken, side of rice and beans at El Gran Castillo de Jagua - 7.75
2. Pizza at Di Faras - 4 bucks, byob
3. chicken/veal pelmeni at Cafe Glechnik - 5 bucks. (and their borscht and vareniki...also byob)
4. jerk chicken, rice and peas - from Islands. i get this delivered. its byob but service can be super slow.
5. beef patties from Chrysties - 2 bucks...my friend jamaican friend claims they aren't so authentic but they are convenient for me and yummy.
6. thai from Song -- cheap. decent. 7/8 bucks
7. sushi lunch special from Taro. 8 bucks
8. tibetan at Cafe Tibet on cortelyou - still experimenting with this place but i've enjoyed dumplings/soups. 6 bucks.
finally got take out from madina last night. we ordered
aloo palak-spinach curry cooked with potatoes (3.99)
saada bhindi - okra cooked with tomatoes and onions (3.99)
chicken kadai with green chilies, ginger, and tomatoes and rice and naan (99).
i also got some dessert (gulab jaman)
over all we were impressed. our food could have been a bit hotter in terms of temperature but it was rich and flavorful and well spiced. (spinach packed a mean punch and was a bit too spicy for my gf). either way, we will definitely go back. the man behind the counter was also really helpful.
of course, i prefer my galab jamun fresh and swimming in the hot sweet syrup, but such is one of the drawbacks of going to counter-style place.
i don't think that anything on the menu is over 8 bucks except the boneless (whole) tilapia ringing in at 11.99 and we have a lot of leftovers for today.
Anything from Ghoroa on Hillside Avenue defines recession bites. I am frequently in awe of how cheap stuff I order is. Like, I've had 3 course meals there and I go up and ask how much in Bangla and I'm nearly floored when they say 4 dollars.
Oh yeah, I've known the people there for about two years so I can't say that everyone will get such low prices.