Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >
Dec 8, 2008 01:38 PM

Looking for French Fries & Slider Buns

Hi Everyone!

Where can I find mini hamburger buns to make my own sliders for my Christmas Party in Toronto on Saturday?

I am looking for suggestions on where I can get a large order of fries to feed 15 people. I'm preparing a 'poutine bar' and would prefer to not fry everything myself.

Thanks Chowhound Friends!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Buy the biggest burger buns you can find, like those Presidents Choice gigantic buns, and just cut them into halfs or quarters...thats the way i've seen it done before :)

    1. Silverstein's bakery will sell them to you if you call their headquarters/manufacturing facility. They are on McCaul.

      And I think Ace may make some, as well, though they are not available everywhere.

        1. re: JamieK

          Have you considered buying frozen fries. I was pretty suprised myself to find that the McCain premium brand is actually very good. We find we need to bake them a few minutes longer than recommended but they turn out very nice and crisp. Just a thought because I figure you'll probably have to warm them up anyways so why not just do them yourself.

          1. re: millygirl

            The Costco poutine uses Cavendish coated frozen fries. I like them, as they have some flavour and bite. They sell bags of the frozen Cavendish, which can be oven prepared.

        2. If you don't have the time to call Siverstein's bakery as suggested, you can use small dinner rolls (round ones). I've made mini-burgers this way and prefer dinner rolls because you can mix it up with different kinds -- white, whole wheat, multigrain, rye. sourdough, cheese, etc. I've also used the pull-apart dinner buns that you can get at artisanal bakeries.

          Good luck!

          1 Reply
          1. re: DishyDiva

            What I use is the small, oblong dinner rolls, 24 to a pack. I cut ends off to make them square and they're perfect for a 1 - 2 oz. burger patty.


          2. what is this? when i lived in england we called this a chip butty....french fries on white bread with brown that what you call a slider?

            2 Replies
            1. re: likescrab

              slider = mini hamburger. The fries are a separate item.

              1. re: likescrab

                I thought a chip buddy was french fries on buttered wonderbread?