5 best bites of 2008?
- mollyomormon Dec 7, 2008 03:55 PM
Here are mine, in no particular order (and, of course, only limited to restaurants for purposes of this question):
the soft shell crab sandwich at Hungry Cat
steak tartare at Anisette
beef roll at Mama's Kitchen
pork belly at Robata-ya
foie gras at Robata-ya
I can't believe two of my top five bites were at Robata-ya, especially when I've been eating out so much this past year with manbitesworld (http://www.manbitesworld.com/), but that pork belly is ridiculous, as is the foie gras.
I'd love to hear others...
Nice topic. :) This is going to be tough... (not counting my eats in Japan this year (^_~)...
* Grade A5 Hokkaido-Gyu Poached at Urasawa
* Zosui (Made from scratch Chicken Soup) at Yakitori Bincho / Izakaya Bincho
* Hokkaido Scallop Sashimi at Providence(!)
* I Ravioli: Ravioli Carbonara with Speck at Valentino
* Berkshire Rack Of Pork & Black Lentils at Craft
Honorable Mention (darn you, mollyomormon for making me choose only 5! :P) -
* Agedashi Tofu at Izakaya Bincho
* Il Fegato D'Anatra (Foie Gras Creme Caramel, Fig Puree) at Drago Centro
* Oh-Toro (Fattiest Bluefin Tuna Belly) at Sushi Zo
* Atole de Guayaba (Hot Masa Drink with Guava) at Breed Street (Street Vendor)
* Buta no Kakuni (Braised Pork Belly) at Izakaya Bincho
And there's probably another 20 dishes I forgot. :)
The wonderful Breed Street! :) See this Chow thread and my link in there has a review, pictures, etc., and the Chow Place links.
And, the Foie Gras Creme Caramel was an amuse bouche / appetizer. Yes, it sounds wild, but it was SO good! :) More details here:
re: Ciao Bob
been meaning to try ham ji park for a while now but finally did it after seeing it on your top five. had the soup to go. one soup is enough for two people. didn't know that when i ordered two soups. loved it. will be eating the leftovers tonight and will definitely be going back. thanks for the reminder.