5 best bites of 2008?
- mollyomormon Dec 7, 2008 03:55 PM
Here are mine, in no particular order (and, of course, only limited to restaurants for purposes of this question):
the soft shell crab sandwich at Hungry Cat
steak tartare at Anisette
beef roll at Mama's Kitchen
pork belly at Robata-ya
foie gras at Robata-ya
I can't believe two of my top five bites were at Robata-ya, especially when I've been eating out so much this past year with manbitesworld (http://www.manbitesworld.com/), but that pork belly is ridiculous, as is the foie gras.
I'd love to hear others...
Nice topic. :) This is going to be tough... (not counting my eats in Japan this year (^_~)...
* Grade A5 Hokkaido-Gyu Poached at Urasawa
* Zosui (Made from scratch Chicken Soup) at Yakitori Bincho / Izakaya Bincho
* Hokkaido Scallop Sashimi at Providence(!)
* I Ravioli: Ravioli Carbonara with Speck at Valentino
* Berkshire Rack Of Pork & Black Lentils at Craft
Honorable Mention (darn you, mollyomormon for making me choose only 5! :P) -
* Agedashi Tofu at Izakaya Bincho
* Il Fegato D'Anatra (Foie Gras Creme Caramel, Fig Puree) at Drago Centro
* Oh-Toro (Fattiest Bluefin Tuna Belly) at Sushi Zo
* Atole de Guayaba (Hot Masa Drink with Guava) at Breed Street (Street Vendor)
* Buta no Kakuni (Braised Pork Belly) at Izakaya Bincho
And there's probably another 20 dishes I forgot. :)
The wonderful Breed Street! :) See this Chow thread and my link in there has a review, pictures, etc., and the Chow Place links.
And, the Foie Gras Creme Caramel was an amuse bouche / appetizer. Yes, it sounds wild, but it was SO good! :) More details here:
re: Ciao Bob
been meaning to try ham ji park for a while now but finally did it after seeing it on your top five. had the soup to go. one soup is enough for two people. didn't know that when i ordered two soups. loved it. will be eating the leftovers tonight and will definitely be going back. thanks for the reminder.
1) Taglierini al brasato de leper e melograno - an angel hair pasta with a Barolo wine braised Hare and pomegranate reduction sauce at Melograno, Hollywood. (pictured)
2) Thinly sliced toro with flower petals at Urasawa, Beverly Hills
3) Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcake with Cappuccino Ice Cream and Dulce de Leche Anglaise and Chocolate Sauce at Brooks Restaurant in Ventura. I swear, this is the stuff that dreams are made of.
4) Warm cheese gourgeres at Bar Marmont, West Hollywood. I actually had TWO orders, that's how good these are!!!
5) The Baco (carnitas, pork belly) at Lot 1, Echo Park (now that Centeno's gone, no need to ever go back). (pictured)
A few honorable mentions:
-Brown butter and cream corn ravioli at Palate Food + Wine, Glendale
-Fried anchovies with honey at Bar Celona, Pasadena
-Skirt steak with caramelized onions and chimichurri at Vertical Wine Bistro, Pasadena (dish is no longer on the menu. Sigh).
-Sticky toffee and peanut butter pudding at Baschan, Montrose. (pictured)
re: Clare K
1) Conchita Pibil Torta (I cried)- La Flor de Yucatan, Westake Dist.
2) Homemade Sicilian Olive Oil from Roma Deli(its the owner's friend from the old country), Pasadena
3) Shio Special Pork Ramen, Noodles Hard, Santouka, Mar Vista
4) Chippino, Colori Kitchen, Downtown LA
5) Cemitas Poblana de milanesa and Champurrado, The Surfer Taco Truck, Westlake Dist.
Five huh? well bites... and newish for me...
1. Duck prosciutto (prosciutto d'anatra) at la Botte, santa monica
2. the zha jiang mian at Qingdao bread food, Alhambra/monterey park border (noodles weak but the sauce and meat are fantastic)
3. beijing style yogurt in the glass jar, blue cherry beijing style yogurt, main st, alhambra
4. hazelnut gelato, Ugo's, Culver city
5. the already pressed Dizi (lamb stew with garbanzos, mashed and pureed), at Canary Chicken, Westwood blvd, westwood.
In no particular order
1. Sweet corn ravioli in truffle broth @ Melisse.
2. Sous vide chicken breast with cheese grits @ Palate (melts in your mouth)
3. Egg Caviar, Poached Egg, Lemon-Chive Crème Frâiche @ Melisse
4. Fried sweetbreads with bacon and capers @ Prune (New York - does this have to LA?)
5. About three things I can't remember from the chef's menu @ both Manresa and Providence.
1. Homemade pistachio pappardelle with braised lamb ragout @ La Botte
2. Chevre shank confit @ Palate
3. Uni risotto flavored with melon jus @ Sam's
4. Lamb chops @ Dan Tana's (okay, this is weird, but if you like big fat juicy lamp chops, especially late, this is the place to go. Everything else ('cept the steak) sucks. I mean, really sucks.
5. Vichyssois @ Anisette (hangover food for me)
It was hard to narrow it down to just five without feeling guilty for omitting several other worthy contenders but, in deference to your ground rules:
Beef Daube at Anisette
Croque Madame at Hatfield's
Lamb Shank at Osteria Mozza
Porterhouse at Wolfgang's
Scallop Mousse at Ortolan
No particular order for mine, either, except for the last, which was the BEST:
The fries with aioli at Oinkster
Patty melt at Busy Bee Cafe in Ventura (only a hair better than Pann's!)
The sausage with chimichurri at the Sausage Esstravaganza
Duck breast w/raspberry sauce at Cafe Massilia
House-cured Salmon Benedict with salad at Square One!!!!!
re: Mattapoisett in LA
I gotta got back on the meat. I just was curious since I never heard of the Sausage Extravangza as restaurant. You're right, now that I think of it, I remember something on Scarf.
I just made it the Farmer's Market food extravaganza a couple years back.
You were the one that mentioned the hot dog/lobster rolls joint, L(the names starts with an L) in Long Beach, hard by the Ferris wheel. is it closed done for good, do you happen to know the details. i only tried the lobster roll once.
-kale, octopus and pecorino flatbread with romesco, hungry cat
-chocolate-guiness ice cream paired with salted dulce de leche ice cream at scoops
-peanut butter molten chocolate cake with salted caramel ice cream at hatfield's
-fried green tomatoes with salsa verde and burrata stuffed squash blossoms, my kitchen
Salmon Farfalle- Madeo
Coconut Cupcake- Auntie Em's Kitchen
Salmon from Grace
Tuna from Lucques
Cheese plate - Palate
and i am leaving out all the amazing sushi i've had in various spots, it's too hard to even think of what the best bite could be. Uni Sushi rules though. So does the Oyster Sushi at Hirozen.
EDITED because i totally forgot about the Escargot at Comme Ca. It was great!
cornmeal pizza with fresh corn and caramelized onions at zelo's
fennel sausage pizza at mozza
cheese pizza at vito's
slice of red velvet cake from susie cakes
corn and morel ice cream at sona
re: New Trial
I did! I actually tried the foie wrapped in kobe skirt steak my first time there and SIV was right to not order it; the taste of the foie was completely lost. It doesn't appear that she tried much of the small hot plates menu, which is the section of the menu featuring both the foie and pork belly. Sounds like she tried the braised version of the pork belly, but the fried version is where the magic is...
In alphabetical order by restaurant:
• The stinky burger at Boneyard Bistro
• Clam bellies at the late lamented Lawton's in Long Beach
• Sauerbraten and red cabbage with potato pancakes at Musso & Frank's
• Two words: Nozawa. Albacore.
• I can't decide between the Oinkster's Belgian fries with roasted garlic aïoli and Square One's home fries
Mussels at Brussel's Bistro
Shu Mai at Elite
Har Gow at Elite
Pork Dumplings at Sea Harbor
Tiaramisu at Sabatino's
As the Shakers would say Tis a Gift to Be Simple tis a gift to be free. so My things are simple
-The Croque Madam at La Mason Du Pain. Perfect Balance of everything. Mid City
-The Fried Clams at Lawton's [RIP] in Long Beach
-Tomato and Bacon Yakitori at Yakitori Bincho in Redondo Beach
-Egg Salad Sandwich and Crinkle cut fries at George's Coffee Shop in Culver City
-Applewood Smoked Bacon, Fried Green Tomato & Avocado BLT at Tupelo Junction Cafe in Santa Barbara
pork belly with mustard glaze at Foundry
Foie gras at Jiraffe
Scallops with goat cheese spinach risotto at Grace
Seabass skewer at Katana
Escargot at Ortolon
bacon wrapped dates at AOC
fried machengo cheese at Raku
1. chicken pho - pho dakao (garden grove)
2. burger - comme ca
3. halibut with shaved truffle sushi - asanebo
4. monkfish - citrus @ social - first time I ever tried monkfish! would love recommendations for more places to order it
5. pastrami sandwich #19- langer's
unmarinated short rib - go goo ryeo
black cod - gyenari
lobster roll - hungry cat
tofu in abalone sauce - sea harbour
meat pelemi - traktir
green tea flan - asanebo
special heart - robata-ya
beef tongue - robata-ya