I need a good Jambalaya recipe--
I found a great one on line but I can't locate now! it was an andouille and chicken. I will happily try a new one--
The original comment has been removed
As served at Mr. B's, New Orleans, LA.
• ⅛ teaspoons salt
• 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
• ½ pound andouille, sliced thinly
• ½ pound chicken breast meat, bone and skin removed, cut into medium chunks
• 2 Tablespoons tasso, chopped
• 1 small red onion, cut into strips
• 1 small bell pepper, cut into strips
• 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 4 teaspoons. minced garlic
• 1 stick butter
• 3 cups Creole sauce (see recipe)
• 2 pounds orecchiete, shell, or spiral pasta, cooked and drained
• 1½ cups shredded provolone cheese
• 1½ cups shredded smoked gouda
• 2 green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet.
2. Sear the chicken, andouille, and tasso in corn oil until the chicken is nearly cooked.
3. Drain excess fat.
4. Add onion, bell pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic, and butter.
5. Continue cooking until the the garlic is fragrant.
6. Add Creole sauce and bring to a boil.
7. Stir well to incorporate butter into the sauce.
8. Put the pasta into a large bowl and pour the sauce over it.
9. Toss the pasta with the sauce to incorporate.
10. Divide the pasta jambalaya on six plates.
11. Top with the cheeses. Garnish with sliced green onion
Makes about two quarts.
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium finely chopped bell pepper
• 1 medium finely chopped white onion
• 2 ribs finely chopped celery
• ½ bunch finely chopped green onion
• 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
• 1 teaspoon basil
• 1 tsp. thyme
• 2 ounce jalapeno pepper sauce
• 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
• 2 cans (28-ounce) whole plum tomatoes, crushed
• 4 medium ripe tomatoes, crushed
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 ounce Worcestershire
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
• 1 Tablespoon salt
• 1 Tablespoon coarsely-ground black pepper
• 1 cup chicken stock
1. Heat the oil in a black cast iron skillet over medium-low heat and saute bell pepper, white onions, celery, green onions, and garlic for about 15 minutes.
2. Add all the other ingredients and stir well.
3. Cook for an hour or two on low heat. Remove the bay leaves.
4. Top with the cheeses.
5. Garnish with sliced green onion
I use Paul Prudhomme's recipe, which is quite simple.
Chop chop onion, celery and bell pepper ad finely or coarsely as you like.. Put in pot with a little oil and fry over low heat 12 to 15 minutes. stirring occasionally Put in uncooked rice and fry for around 5 minutes, then add enough liquid to cook the rice (I usually use water and chicken base), Cook according to rice-package directions; add shrimp or crawfish, if you're using, about 5 minutes before serving.
Protein needing longer cooking (e.g., sausage, chicken, alligator) should be prepared separately and added to pot long enough before it's done to heat through. Use salt, pepper, hot sauce to taste.
If you have access to fresh seafood and a few dollars you don't mind parting with, give this high-end version a try; very similar to paella but full-on Cajun. Enjoy!
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, cut in 1/2" squares
3/4 cup green bell pepper, cut in 1/2" squares
1 pound venison sausage, cut diagonally in 1/2" slices
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 cups popcorn rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 46 oz. can tomato juice
1/2 cup green onion tops, cut into rings
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
10 pieces U-12 shrimp, head-on, peeled and deveined
10 redfish filets, cut into 3 oz. filets
20 frog legs, frenched
5 jumbo soft shell crabs, fried and cut in half
fresh chopped parsley
julienned piquillo peppers
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a 22" paella pan over medium-high heat add oil, onion, and bell pepper; cook until softened slightly; add sausage, garlic, and rice; cook until aromatic.
3. Add water, tomato juice, green onions, worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning, cayenne pepper, and shrimp; bring to a boil; add redfish and frog legs; transfer to the oven and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes until rice is tender.
4. Garnish with soft shell crab halves, piquillo pepper strips, and lots of chopped parsley.