Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Nov 5, 2008 10:13 AM

Help needed with unusual cake pans found at Home Goods

OK, let me say first off that I'm a sucker for unusual, even quirky, bakeware, kitchen utensils, etc. I just found (and bought, of course) a couple of interesting cake pans at Home Goods. They're 20cm x 9.5 cm (approx. 3 1/2 in. deep by 7 1/4" wide.) They have a champagne-colored non-stick coating and loose bottoms like a tart pan. A quick search on google makes me think that these are more commonly seen in the UK, then here in the US. Do any CHers ever use pans like this? Is there a particular type of baked good that is more appropriately baked in a pan like this? Or can they be used, with recipe quantity/temp/time adjustments perhaps, for most cake recipes?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Is the pan coated steel or aluminum? Well, either one, I tend to observe the cake recommendations like 350 degrees for X amount of minutes for the smaller flat pans. I would avoid recipes that uses a sugar/fruit glaze as in some upside down cake. I once had a 2 piece pan lift on me when the heated sugar got between the layers. Geez, what a mess me made!

    1 Reply
    1. re: RShea78

      Coated steel. And great tip, thanks. I'd hate to make a mess like that in my brand new range oven. :)

    2. Sounds promising for cheesecake. Although not with a waterbath, unless you wrapped it in foil.

      1 Reply
      1. re: silvergirl

        Yes, the foil suggestion is right on target. After finding similar pans on fantes, it looks like these pans should be wrapped in foil even for non-cheesecake, but lighter, cake batters.

      2. You mean a loaf pan, like for poundcake? Or a square pan with removeable bottom, like a square cheesecake pan that isn't a springform?

        1 Reply
        1. re: ThreeGigs

          The pans are round, and very deep compared to their small circumference. If pans can be called cute, these are. :)