visitor seeks charlotte NC's best local fare
Hi Charlotte hounds,
I've been searching around this board but all the 'best' posts for Charlotte seem to be about special occasions and so on. I'm looking for 3 recommendations of things I need to try when I am there for business in a few weeks. I live in NYC so I'm not after your best pizza or thai or fusion etc. I'm after real deal hopefully not too expensive must eats. BUT I wont have a car so I ask you to go easy on my wallet in terms of cab fare. Oh and I'll be staying uptown. Thanks so much I'm really looking forward to my brief trip.
- Mert's is top of the list. Excellent soul/southern fare. Good lunch or dinner. (214 N College St)
- Blue is a good upscale spot for Mediterranean / Middle Eastern fare. Also has a bar full of hip young things and live jazz on the weekends. (5th & College)
- Dish is another southern comfort food spot a short distance away from uptown. Good chicken & dumplings, etc. (1220 Thomas Ave )
- Not really dinner, but Press is a comfortable wine bar with apps to share like cheese plates, etc. (333 W. Trade St.)
- Rira is an excellent Irish pub with decent pub grub. (Tryon & 5th)
-Ratcliffe on the Green on Tryon. Try the tasting menu - it's a great value. Local ingredients and they usually have pork belly from a local farm - Grateful Growers Farm. You must have some local pig while you are here - we love the pig.
-Lulu on Central. Not far from downtown - just southeast of it. As I've said many times, it's my personal favorite in town. Southern food w/ a French twist. They have a Lulu burger that rivals nyc's The Spotted Pig's burger. Lulu's has housemade pimento cheese, sweet jalapeno relish, a fried green tomato all on a lovely challah roll. I've always loved their moules frites (choice between thai, portuguese or mariniere).
-Price's Chicken Coop. Bon Appetit & Gourmet are big fans as are many locals. I've never been and it gets mixed reviews here. It's take out fried chicken w/ all the fixins.
-Mert's Heart & Soul, uptown. Soul/Southern food.
Enjoy your visit!