Barnard College vicinity
would like suggestions for lunch, nothing expensive. any cuisine. thank you.
I went to Barnard, it's a varitable wasteland for food up there in many respects. Best picks, all along B'way:
- Ollie's lunch specials are your best bet for Chinese, or if you order in you'll have enough left over for lunch the next day (unless your roomie eats it like mine usually did).
- You cannot beat the jumbo slice at Koronet. Mmmm, soo good....
- Milano Market used to have tossed salads and a whole prepared foods case, sandwiches, all pretty decent.
- Amir's for falafal, shwarma - cheap, fresh, delicious.
- Pinnacle always had halfway decent wraps; definitely not as good as the other places I've mentioned, but when you're sick of everything else.
- Che Bella pizza on Amsterdam and 120th or so (south of 120th I think) has one of the best chicken parm sandwiches I've ever had in my life.
- Strokos on Amsterdam or Hamilton Deli should be fine for a sandwich, or a soup maybe.
As a current Columbia student, I couple of notes about your suggestions:
Ollie's is cheap and ridiculously quick. Definitely not the best Chinese you will come across, but it certainly edible. Can get ridiculously busy as it's a staple for a lot of students in the area.
Milano Market has become a go-to spot. The fresh-to-order salads and sandwiches (they also have pre-made if you're in a hurry) are very good: the salads are particularly reasonable, the sandwiches are just a touch on the pricier side for sandwiches in the area but are worth it in my book.
Amir's has been closed by the Health Department. Don't know when they'll reopen, but given the fact that I didn't feel particularly well after my one meal there.... and they were shut down a week later... it's completely off my radar.