Can anyone think of a list of round/circular foods?
Hello! Our dinner group meets once a month and my cohost and I are considering doing the theme of round foods. We need to think of a few apps, 2 entrees and a few desserts. Food is generally interesting and special occasion/ethnic food is encouraged.
I have already thought of scallops over couscous for an entree and an angel food cake with blueberry sauce for dessert (there are a few diabetics in the group so we were going to use sugar substitute and bake the cake in a bundt pan).
Can anyone think of other ideas? Vegetarian options are always encouraged.
Pizzaili's (sp?) another great dessert that's low cal.
Melba rounds with slice of cuke and salmon mousse on top for an app. (or anything on top)
A nice pork loin sliced in disc's. on polenta rounds.
Also make a nice round salad, crabmeat would go nice with your scallops. See one version of what I mean:
Or you could go with mediterrain salad tower with tomato, sliced motz and sliced onion
there are so many options!!!
Oh, I don't think you can make an angel food cake in a bundt pan, it won't come out. You need an angel food cake / sponge cake pan. The kind where the bottom detatches.
Well, you should have lots of options, half the food world is round, or so it seems.
- Ravioli's - deep fried with a dipping sauce for an app. Also, can be cooked, cooled and served at room temp with a basic salsa as an app. Jumbo ravolis with - your choice of filling if you make your own - with sauce.
- Eggplants are round if you cut them crosswise, not length wise. Eggplant parmesan for an etnree.
- Zucchini are round too, so you could do a zucchini lasagna. Or take lasgna noodles, lay them out flat, put some filling in, roll up, put in your baking dish, cover with sauce and cheese and bake.
- Brushetta for an app, makes use of round baugettes and round tomatoes
- Potatoes are round if cut crosswise, you can do tons of things with them.
- Use various widths of PVC piping to construct composed salads or side dishes by layering ingredients into the PVC piping and then removing the mold. The end result will be a prefectly round finished dish. Look into Peruvian causas, they're extremely versatile and make a great appetizer if made small or a nice entree if made with wider piping.
- Beef tenderloin is round, do a classic by wrapping pieces of tenderloin in bacon, and then saute and finish in the oven, sauce of your choice.
- Pork tenderloin is round too and very versatile in preparation styles
- Depending upon your group, eels are round
- Carrots are round, slice and finish however your want
- Beets are round and there are probably a gazillion recipes and variations for the ubiquitous beet & goat cheese salad
- Tortillas are round, do quesadillas, or tacos or taquitos/rolled tacos for appetizers
Think about using agave nectar as a sugar substitute (directions for substituting for sugar are on the package). Many diabetics can tolerate agave nectar. It also makes a pretty decent substitute for simple sugar in cocktails.
Pork Tenderloin cut into slices and pan-sauteed with slices of apple on top.
Grilled tomatoes and portobello mushroom caps
And everything DiningDiva said. :-)