October 2008 COTM: "Batali": Babbo, Molto Italiano & Simple Italian Cooking
- MMRuth Oct 1, 2008 06:59 AM
October 2008 COTM:
Mario Batali’s Babbo, Molto Italiano, and Simple Italian Cooking.
Welcome to the links thread for the October 2008 Cookbook of the Month. You may wish to bookmark this thread for future reference, as it contains links to all the other threads for these cookbooks.
Instead of having another thread for general discussion, recipe planning, links, and previous picks and pans, let's use this one. I'll copy over the links posted earlier, as well as some additional ones. Others are welcome of course to post more links. Since we’re doing three books, let’s try to use on-line recipes that are from one of the books, so that we don’t get too diffused.
Here are the links for the threads for the full length recipe reviews. Once again, I decided to go with combining the books into each of the threads (rather than having different threads for the three books), which I think helps maintain the spirit of COTM of "cooking together", even though we are three books.
Primi (including pasta, risotto, soup, etc.
Vegetable Side Dishes (Contorni
Desserts, Cheese & Drinks
Some links posted in the suggestions thread:
Molto Italiano recipes:
Mario Batali's posts and recipes:
Radicchio with Bacon and Rosemary - Radicchio al Rosmarino
Bread Soup -Zuppa di Pane
Jumbo Shrimp Marsala (Housewife-Style) -Gamberoni alla Zasalinga Siciliana
Ricotta Gnocchi with Sausage and Fennel
(and links to other Batali recipes):
Pappardelle with Peas and Parmesan
StarChef Batali recipes:
re: The Dairy Queen
Hmm - that's odd - I think JoanN provided that link and when I checked it a while ago, it did bring up those recipes. I wouldn't assume though that all the recipes in the show are in that book. I'll go back and see if I copied the link incorrectly.
Edit. It's the right link - I wonder if this has something to do with the redesign of the FN website?
I think you're right, MMRuth, about the link not working having something to do with the redesign of the Website. I tried to recreate the original link using Google's advanced search feature, and the first four links I clicked on returned a message saying the page couldn't be found. Something's definitely not working properly over there.
The website of the restaurant has a lot of overlap to the Babbo book recipes...but not all the site is from that book. Here's the list on the site.
• AGRETTI ALLA ROMANA
• APPLES OF THE VAL DI NON
• ANISE AND LEMON TARALLI
• ASPARAGUS AND RICOTTA RAVIOLI
• AUTUMN VEGETABLE SALAD WITH FRICCO
• BACCALA ALLA VICENTINA
• BARBECUED OCTOPUS WITH SPICY TANGERINE CITRONETTE
• BIGOLI CON SALSA
• BISCOTTI DI FARRO
• BLACK SPAGHETTI WITH ROCK SHRIMP AND SPICY SOPPRESSATA
• BOLLITO MISTO
• BOLLITO MISTO WITH CRANBERRY MOSTARDA
• BONET ALLA PIEMONTESE
• BRAISED FENNEL SALAD WITH PEARS AND GORGONZOLA
• BRAISED LEEK AGNOLOTTI WITH SWEET CORN AND CASTELMAGNO
• BRUSCHETTA WITH FAVAS AND NEW YORK STATE RICOTTA
• BRUSCHETTE AL'INFERNO
• BUCATINI ALL'AMATRICIANA
• BUDINO DI CASTAGNE
• CALAMARI - TWO MINUTE SICILIAN LIFEGUARD STYLE
•CAPRETO CACIO E UOVA
• CARCIOFI ALL ROMANA
• CARPACCIO DI ZUCCHINI CON ANGURIA E TARANTELLO
• CAVATELLI CON CIMA DI RAPE
• CHEESES OF LE MARCHE
• CHEESES OF PIEMONTE AND THE BRA CHEESE FESTIVAL
• CHEESES OF SALERNO
• CHEESNUT FLOUR OF GARGAGNANA
• CIAUSCULO WITH WATERCRESS AND CHERRIES
• CITRUS FRUITS
• COCKLES -STEAMED IN A HABANERO CHIVE BROTH
• COPPA WITH PUMPKIN IN SCAPECE
• COTECHINO WITH LENTILS
• CRISPY TROUT WITH INSALATA CRUDA AND HEIRLOOM TOMATO SEED VINAIGRETTE
• CULATELLO WITH FIGS
• DUCK BRESAOLA WITH CANNELLINI AND RED ONION JAM
• DUCK W/ SAVOY, SPECK & BROVADA
• DUCK EGG WITH GUANCIALE, FETT'UNTA AND WHITE TRUFFLES
• FIG & WALNUT BISCOTTI
• FRUITS OF FRIULI
• FUSILLI WITH BRAISED RABBIT - ISCHIA STYLE
• GORGONZOLA WITH MINT, WALNUTS, & SOUR CHERRY JAM
• GRILLED RADICCHIO TREVISANO WITH ASIAGO & HORSERADISH
• GRILLED GUINEA HEN WITH FREGULA AND BLACK TRUFFLE VINAIGRETTE
• HAZELNUT CAKE
• HONEY AND HONEY COOKIES
• KIWI FROM VERONA
• LAGANNE ALLA MOLSANA
• LAMB WITH EGG AND CHEESE SAUCE
• LEMONS OF SORRENTO AND THE AMALFI COAST
• LONZA WITH CARDOONS AND PECRORINO DI FOSSA
• LUGANEGA WITH SOFT POLENTA AND ASIAGO
• MACCHERONI DI FUOCO
• MODENESE CRUMBLY CAKE
• NECI CON FUNGHI MISTI
• OCTOPUS WITH SPICY TANGERINE CITRONETTE
• OLIVE OIL & POLENTA CAKE
• ORECCHIETTE WITH RAPINI AND SWEET SAUSAGE
• ORZOTTO WITH FUNGHI
• PALACINCHE (Sweet crepes of Friuli Venezia-Giulia
)• PAN DI SPAGNA
• PARROZZO ABRUZZESE
• PEAR & CHESTNUT CAKE
• PEARS OF MANTOVA
• PANE FRATTAU
• PANZANELLA SALAD
• PAPARDELLE WITH BUTTER, PARMESAN AND WHITE TRUFFLES
• PASTA ALA NORMA
• PASTA CON LE SARDE
• PERCH WITH WATERCRESS PESTO AND PEPERONATA
• PIZZOCHERI WITH CABBAGE AND BITTO
• PORK BRACIOLONA
• PORK LOIN ALLA PORCHETTA
• PROSCIUTTO SAN DANIELE WITH BLACK PEPPER FETTUNTA AND FIGS
• PUMPKIN LUNE WITH BUTTER AND SAGE
• PUNTARELLA IN SALSA
• PURSLANE SALAD WITH SMOKED TROUT
• RABBIT -BRAISED WITH FUSILLI - ISCHIA STYLE
• RADICCHIO TREVISANO - GRILLED WITH ASIAGO AND HORSERADISH
• RHUBARB PANNA COTTA
• ROASTED PINEAPPLE
• ROASTED BEET FARROTTO
• SAFFRON PANNA COTTA
• SCUNGILLI ALLA SORRENTINA
• SEA SCALLOPS CRUDO - WITH SHAVED FENNEL AND OLIO NUOVO
• SMACAFAM; POLENTA AND SAUSAGE "HUNGER KILLER"
• SMOKED TROUT - WITH PURSLANE SALAD
• SPAGHETTI ALLA PANTELLERIA
• SPAGHETTINI CON FIORE DI ZUCCA
• SPAGHETTINI WITH BLACK TRUFFLES
• SPAGHETTI WITH RAMPS
• SPAGHETTI WITH CARDOONS
• SPAGHETTI WITH SNAILS - LE MARCHE STYLE
• STINGING NETTLE PAPPARDALLE WITH BOAR RAGU
• STINGING NETTLE AND RICOTTA TORTELLI
• STRANGOZZI WITH SPRING LAMB AND RAMPS
• STRANGULAPRETI ALLA SORRENTINA
• STINGING NETTLE PAPPARDELLE WITH WILD BOAR RAGU
• SWEET ALMONDS FROM PUGLIA
• TAGLIATELLE WITH RADICCHIO CASTELFRANCO, PANCETTA AND CAPRINO
• TARALLI WITH ANISE AND LEMON
• TORTA SACHER
• TWO MINUTE CALAMARI SICILIAN LIFEGUARD STYLE
• VENISON (GRILLED) WITH ACORN SQUASH CAPONATA
• WALNUT AND ORANGE SPICE CAKE FOR LENT
• ZUCCHINI CARPACCIO WITH SICILIAN SEA SALT & BOTTARGA
A million thanks pitu! This is a great list.
If anybody comes across a recipe on the Molto Mario/Food Network site (or whatever they've changed it to) they want to check to make sure it's in Molto Italiano, I'd be glad to look it up in my book. I'm sure MMR will be lax in her punishment of those who make and post recipes that just appear online! ;+)
Just a minor detail but his first book is called, "Simple Italian Food." I've already marked a few recipes to try! Thanks, MMRuth!
Thanks for all the links, folks. I really must get my arse into gear and cook some of the online recipes. I'm very much enjoying reading about everyone else's efforts (some of the reports are hilarious!) but I have to say I'm quite pleased I didn't buy the book this month.
I can't wait for the November suggestions thread now!
We had a wonderful time with some local Chowhounds this past Saturday night for a Batali-themed Italian potluck. Everything was really delicious, I couldn't say which were my favorites - I think I went back for seconds on EVERYTHING.
Thanks to the friendly Chowhound community, of course, where I was able to invite a bunch of Phoenix CHs to come over to our home bearing home-cooked food and bottles of vino. As a newbie to Arizona, I'm grateful for the chance to get to know such nice, generous people and, of course, spectacular cooks! Hopefully some will post on their delicious recipes.
Here's the menu with pics and some recipe links:
For a couple of italian-influenced cocktails to start, E made limoncello 'martinis', and Amarinas (Babbo Cookbook, p. 16)
I also served an Italian cheese platter (Parmigiano-Reggiano, Taleggio, Gorgonzola Piccante, and Toma Maccagno) with Marcona almonds and port-marinated raisins, with thin-sliced Fra'Mani sopressata. Also, another Batali dish - Peperoni Ripieni (MI p 56).
My contribution to a main dish was Pasticcio do Maccheroni - MI, p. 190
The rest of the delicious contributions:
Hohokam and M:
Pork Sausage from Lucania (Molto italiano, p. 368) and braised broccoli rabe
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake - Babbo, p. 281
Honey Vanilla Gelato - Babbo, p 314
Their friends E, and P:
Chicken with Sweet Peppers: Pollo con Peperoni - Molto Mario
and wonderful homemade biscotti.
ArizonaGirl and hubby:
Herb Frittata (Frittata alle Erbe - Molto Italiano, p 51
)Ricotta Pound Cake with homemade whipped cream and fresh fruit (Dolce Italiano: Desserts from the Babbo Kitchen)
Ziti Gratinati (Baked Ziti with Cauliflower, Saffron, and Pecorino - Molto Mario)
Radicchio al Rosmarino (Radicchio with pancetta and rosemary
Everything was spectacular, with lovely dessert wines to go with the desserts. What a great excuse to have a fantastic meal and meet some new friends!
Peperoni Ripieni, Pollo con Peperoni, Ziti Gratinati, and Radicchio al Rosmarino:
Truly, we are blessed ;).
I think of all the recipes the pollo con peperoni was the one that will go into heavy rotation for the cold season (can't really call it winter, here). I was partial to the Amaroni cocktail and hohkam's honey vanilla gelato was perfectly on point. My mouth still waters when I think of that cheese plate, though. Oh, and the pound cake. And the homemade sausages ...
It was just the perfect confluence of setting, hospitality, gracious hosts, and some guests who really knew their way around Italian techniques and ingredients.
Plus, good booze. Never hurts!