HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
What's your latest food project? Share your adventure

Need help converting UK recipe to US measurements

fickle Sep 24, 2008 06:50 PM

I'm helping a friend bake a cheesecake that his British cousin sent him. What is the best online calculator to use for converting it from UK measurements to US ones?

Are these conversions correct?
60g (butter) - 1/4 cup
160g (castor sugar) - 2/3 cup
300 g (sour cream) - 1 1/3 cup
400 g (cream cheese) - 1 3/4 cup

And another stupid question, is a British digestive biscuit the same size as a US one? It calls for 9 biscuits except I have no idea if the size is the same as ours! I know he wants to remain faithful to his cousin's recipe but I may have to adapt it with some recipes I use to make it work!

Any thoughts?

  1. s
    smartie Oct 11, 2008 07:19 AM

    there are no digestive biscuits in the usa unless you can find Mcvities in the British section of a supermarket. Most people in America use Graham crackers for the base.

    1. cassoulady Sep 25, 2008 08:14 AM

      A little digital scale might help, u can program it to be oz or grams.

      6 Replies
      1. re: cassoulady
        MMRuth Sep 25, 2008 08:17 AM

        Yes - that's what I use - makes this so much simpler. Another thought I had - English butter may have a higher fat content than U.S. butter.

        1. re: MMRuth
          paulj Sep 25, 2008 08:47 AM

          The butter is probably being used in the crust along with the 'biscuits'. If the crust doesn't use any other source of liquid, it would be hard to adjust (with more butter, less water).

          1. re: paulj
            fickle Sep 25, 2008 11:13 AM

            The butter is for the crust and yes, it's the only liquid.

            Good recommendation about the scale. Mine died a miserable death when it leapt off my counter last week! Perfect time to buy a new one and I'll look for that additional feature.

            1. re: fickle
              fickle Oct 11, 2008 06:13 AM

              Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I picked up the OXO food scale and the cheesecake turned out beautifully. It only stood an inch and a half tall but apparently that's what it's suppose to be. Maybe that's the usual height of a british cheesecake vs our supersized north american ones!

          2. re: MMRuth
            greedygirl Oct 11, 2008 12:55 PM

            Really? I've never heard of this before.

            1. re: greedygirl
              Caitlin McGrath Oct 13, 2008 05:55 PM

              The legal minimum butterfat content for butter in the US (and the usual fat content) is 80%. Many European butters that are exported here (and US-made "European-style" butter) are around 82% butterfat. Do you know what the standard fat content is for British butter?

        2. f
          fickle Sep 25, 2008 08:09 AM

          Thanks everyone!

          1. paulj Sep 24, 2008 09:19 PM

            400g is 0.9lb, so the recipe calls for a pound of cream cheese - nearly.

            300g is 2/3 lb, or 21 oz of sour cream, about pint and half?

            60g = 0.13lb, about an 1/8 of lb, half a 1/4lb stick

            I have only glanced at digestive biscuits. UK cookies, Hobnobs, are similar in size to American ones, a bit over 2" in diameter. LU brand MarieLou a probably closer to digestive biscuits.

            1. todao Sep 24, 2008 08:41 PM

              Your calculations are plenty close enough to make it work.
              I like this site a lot for calculating units of measure in recipes.
              Once you get used to it (check the list on the right hand side) it's really pretty quick.


              There are also some small matrices at the bottom of the pages that you can print for the pocket in the inside front cover of your cookbook.

              1. Gio Sep 24, 2008 06:58 PM

                This is one of the best conversion charts I've found so far on the net... hope you like it as well as I do:

                Show Hidden Posts