HOME > Chowhound > San Francisco Bay Area >



Can anyone that has been crawdading before help me... I would like to know where to go in Nor Cal to catch some of these :) yum yum

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I would guess the Delta and a visit to a equipment store near Isleton. You'll need a trap, a license and time.

    7 Replies
    1. re: wolfe

      I have seen them in the creek (Woods Creek) in Jamestown in the Sierra foothills near Sonora. Never knew about the license or traps for that matter. Never caught one.

      1. re: NoeMan

        When I was a child growing up in the Oakland hills the neighbor boys and I used to go crawdadding in Lake Temescal, using string with bacon tied on the end. I wonder if there are still crawdads in Lake Temescal?

        1. re: Ruth Lafler

          The cricks around Walnut Creek have crawdads in them.

          1. re: Melanie Wong

            At first squint I wasn't sure that first word was cricks !!!! That was scary

            1. re: NoeMan

              My post prompted this email from a shy chowhound:

              "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Yore getting downright folkie. It’s time for you to drop that fancy French name and become Cindy Bob or somethin’ reg’lar like that."

          2. re: Ruth Lafler

            I've never seen them at Temescal (doesn't mean they aren't there), but in my youth we used to catch them in the pond at Montclair park.

      2. I didn't realize you needed a license. Back in the day, my cousins and I would spend summer afternoons catching crawdads in the irrigation ditches in our backyards in the delta. They're still there but access might be a problem as a lot of the delta is either very private property or nature conservancy and protected.

        4 Replies
        1. re: deltagirl

          I assume that the license is for folks dropping traps and harvesting greater numbers than kids scurrying though streams, cricks and ditches chasing the little mud buggers. However, as Spenser Tracy said in Desk Set, "Never assume."

          1. re: wolfe

            The link you provided stated that you needed a license. However, except for specified types of fishing, "persons under the age of 16" are not required to have a fishing license in California.

            From the Department of Fish and Game FAQ:

            Q: Who needs a sport fishing license?
            A: Any person who is 16 years of age or older must possess a sport fishing license when taking any fish, shell fish, reptile, or amphibian in California (Fish and Game Code, Section 7145). Fish and Game Code Section 86 defines "Take" as hunt, pursue, catch, capture, or kill, or attempt to hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill.

            1. re: Ruth Lafler

              well we had only thought about catching them maybe in the delta, camping out somewhere and cook them there:) dang it thinking about it is making me hungry!!

              1. re: teeny222

                You would need a fishing license, but you can get a one-day one for a nominal price.

        2. If you need a lot of crawdads for a feed, the best time and place to get them is in the Sacramento Valley when the rice fields are being drained. This draining started last month but some of the darker green fields may still have water in them. There are dozens behind the boxes between the paddies (“checks” is the local term). There are dozens around the water intake structure into the field from the delivery ditch. These are the big, red kind introduced to CA by the Dept. of Fish and Game. There used to be small blue ones that did no damage, but the red ones are very destructive to water control structures making them an expensive pest. Although I have seen thousands gathered, smashed, shot, etc., I have never heard of having a license. The only positive aspect of these pests is the increase in the river otter population, which are fun to watch.