Exploring Little India tonight in Artesia. Suggestions?
FINALLY I am posting what happened...
Well, Chowhounds warned us to stick with Southern Indian Vegetarian places. But we wanted chicken. Our mistake.
Boneless Chicken cooking in the juice of garlic, ginger, and tomatoes. A recipe from the mountain
Tender pieces of chicken cooked with special spices, served with creamy spinach curry
Ground Lamb and sauteed potatos cooked in mild or hot spices, with ginger, garlic, tomato and cilantro
Sauteed Vegetables and Paneer cooked with ginger and coconut sauce
Naan with onion, garlic, cilantro, other spices
Yogurt salad with cucumbers, tomato, and potato
* Entrees came with rice. While this was common back East, I rarely see this in LA.
* The chicken was exceptionally tender and moist
* Corkage was only $7 (Good thing, as their list was basically Albertson's specials)
And the not so Good:
* I don't think I ever had Raita made with potatoes. Kinda bland. Very small portion, also
* lamb was gamey and I think added to the sauce after it was cooked, as you could not taste the meat juices in the dish. THis was our least favorite.
* vegetable korma was all sauce, very heavy,
Dessert: The Saffron Spot - Amazing Saffron Ice Cream, Very Much Recommended
All in all, we learned that if we want non-vegetarian then we need to stick to the plethora of delightful places in other parts of LA.
So hounds, you were right and next time I will heed your warning.
The India Restaurant
17824 Pioneer Blvd
Artesia, CA 90702
18744 Pioneer Boulevard
Artesia, CA 90701
Phone : 562-809-4554
These two threads should prove helpful with lots of recommendations.
chowhound.chow.com/topics/539205: Indian food in Little India - Cerritos/Artesia?
chowhound.chow.com/topics/445605: Current BEST in Artesia Little India?
EDIT: I'd recommend the INDIA RESTAURANT, which is non-vegetarian.