No cream of broccoli soup at the Organic Panificio Cafe in Marina del Rey?
Has anyone tried this soup? I hate broccoli, but LOVED this soup. I now have a Costco-size bag of broccoli in my fridge, and am frantically searching the web for a recipe to match the taste and consistency of this soup. It was delicious. Any readers have suggestions on how to make a delicious no cream-based broccoli soup? It's described on the Cafe's menu as a "puree of organic broccoli topped with extra virgin olive oil" but my taste buds tell me that also holds other ingredients. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Yep, the potatoes are key. When I was a kid, my uncle invented a delicious recipe for "lo-cal/no-cow" cream of broccoli soup. I still make it today:
1. Sautee a good amount of chopped onions and shallots in oil (or butter, if you're down). Toss in some garlic and about 2-3 tsp. ground coriander seed.
2. Add several chopped potatoes and your broth of choice. No need to peel the potatoes unless they are really thick-skinned. Toss in a bay leaf.
3. Simmer the potatoes until almost done. Add several broccoli crowns. Continue cooking until done.
4. As soon as the broccoli is tender, remove the bay leaves and puree the soup (either with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender.
5. Serve with crusty French bread and grated cheddar (if not vegan).
Hope you enjoy!