Carrot Cake with buttercream frosting Help!
I need to make it for a friend as per her request for her birthday with no nuts or raisins so I have never made one so please give me your most easy best recipes please. Thanks
The carrot cake and frosting recipe from Cooks Illustrated is excellent too. I usually sprinkle toasted coconut on top...makes a nice presentation and tastes oh so good.
This is the NYT carrot cake that I posted about 18 months ago.
NYT carrot w/ raisin cake
1-1/2 lbs. carrots cleaned and grated(approx 4 packed cups)
2 cups white sugar
1-1/2 cups corn oil
2 cups Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp Cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Butter the inside of 3 9" cake rounds, line the bottom with parchment paper cut to size, and sprinkle with flour, shake out excess flour and set aside.
Beat sugar and eggs until thick and then slowly beat in oil gradually.
Sift together flour,baking powder and soda Cinnamon and salt stir this into the egg,sugar and oil mixture and add in vanilla. Fold in carrots,walnuts and raisins.
spoon equal amounts of batter into each of 3 cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched. Turn the cakes out on wire rack and let cool.
Substitute your favorite buttercream recipe or use the "Good Eats" buttercream.
I don't like oil in carrot cake, although it is popular.
I prefer butter. This recipe will make a three layer cake or a 13 x 9 x 2 pan cake.
3 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups grated carrots
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour three (9-inch) cake pans or 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Add the sugar and beat.
4. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix well.
5. Add the dry ingredients, alternating with the eggs, beating well after the addition of each.
6. Add the vanilla extract and mix.
7. Add the carrots and beat on medium speed until well incorporated, about two minutes.
8. Divide between the three cake pans (or pour into one large pan) and bake until set and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 25 minutes to 30 minutes for three pans, 40 to 50 minutes (or longer) for one cake.
8. Remove from the oven and let rest in the cake pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto wire racks, remove from the pans, and let cool.
Here is a recipe for an Orange Buttercream Icing that goes nicely with carrot cake. One recipe will work fine with a 13 x 9 x 2 cake. You may need two batches to frost and fill a three layer cake, depending on how much icing you want. This recipe makes about one and a half cups.
Easy Orange Buttercream Icing
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon orange zest, grated
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 pinch salt
2 teaspoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1. In a mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.
2. Add orange zest and beat mixture at medium-high speed to combine, about 15 seconds. 3. Add confectioners' sugar and salt; beat at medium-low speed until most of the sugar is moistened, about 45 seconds.
4. Scrape down bowl and beat at medium speed until mixture is fully combined, about 15 seconds; scrape bowl, add orange juice, vanilla, and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.
Keep refrigerated until use. Will need to soften before use if refrigerated.
This one has always seemed like the quintessential carrot cake, despite what may seem like a exotic addition of pineapple:
1 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups of flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp soda
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded carrot
1 cup of chopped toasted walnuts (you could easily reduce this)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple, do not drain
Combine all ingredients (you could make the whole thing in the food processor), bake in two prepared 9'' pans at 350 for 30-45 minutes.