Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Wine >
Sep 1, 2008 09:13 PM

Italian Wine Glasses?

Does anyone know where to find the small wine glasses that is used to serve table wine? It's not your common wine glass with a stem, but just a small glass. I'm having trouble finding the right kind.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. If you go to the Sur La Table web site, you will find a version of the small tumblers you are seeking. They feature a line in the middle of the glass with the word "Optimista" above the line and "Pessimista" below the line.

    1. Ikea! I don't remember the exact price, but they were ridiculously low-cost, allowing me to get 30 of them so I never have to do plastic. I think they were something like 6 for $5. They are exactly what you are looking for. They are sturdy and attractive and "Old World."

      4 Replies
      1. re: emi50

        Though "traditional," it would be interesting to see how the same wines fared in these, vs a Riedel Vinum. Just curious.


        1. re: Bill Hunt

          <re: emi50 Though "traditional," it would be interesting to see how the same wines fared in these, vs a Riedel Vinum. Just curious.>

          We've tried it, Hunt. Can you guess the answer?

          (The wine doesn't taste nearly as good in those tumblers when you're not in a trattoria in Italy!)

          1. re: ChefJune

            That would have been my "guess," and after tasting some "known" wines in/around Rome, that was my impression. However, I never have had the benefit of an A-B test, so did not know for sure.

            Though Riedel might take it to an extreme, over the decades, I have done some A-B-C tastings, and am still impressed. Do they market more glasses, than is necessary for mere winos, like me? Yes, BUT the stemware can make a difference.

            Thank you for you input, as I value your observations.


            1. re: Bill Hunt

              Bill, Crate and Barrel carries the Duralex (France) tumblers that have been a fixture of cantinas and trattorias and films about cantinas and trattorias in Italian life for eons. I've got a bunch, bought for practically nothing on the Italian Arthur Ave of the Bronx. Indestructible. Feel like a Marcel Pagnol character.

      2. Thanks all!

        Sur La Table - a little too modern for my taste

        Ikea - haven't found the glass yet, but I'll check it out the next time I go

        I found a glass I like on Amazon (link below) but they sell it by the case, so 36 glasses. Anyone want to go in on some glasses? :)

        6 Replies
        1. re: variaas

          Those are very small "on the rocks" glasses that most bars use for a standard shot on the rocks or a "double" or "mixed" shot such as a kamikazie. Those are not in any way shape or form a wine glass.

          1. re: variaas

            I had the Gibraltar glasses in various sizes and the lip is very thick. Actually the whole glass is weighty and clunky-feeling, IMO. I gave the whole set to a younger relative moving into her first house. I have the Picardie series as well and like the feel of it much better.

            Here are a few other options you might want to check out:

            I brought a smaller version of this shape of wine tumbler back from France a couple of years ago and use them often. Some have no writing on them, some say "Vin". Perhaps someone else has seen them sold in the US? Here's one link (I know nothing about this company, was just looking for an example of the glass):

            1. re: variaas

              Im looking of short wine glasses also that say Vin on them......same thing. I think they are French not Italian? Let me know if you find them?

              1. re: surfgirl

                Mine are several years old now. I bought some of them in France and some in California.

                I just google'd and found this site,
                that may have some, though this is way more per glass than I spent.

                These look like the same or very similar glass without the "Vin" on them,

                1. re: souvenir

                  Thank you!
                  Thats what I wanted :)

            2. Personally I would go with either of these. I think that the second ones are more old world traditional.



              2 Replies
              1. re: rindinella_k

                We picked up six of the REKO glasses about four months ago - we're down to four. While they're a handy size, they do break easily, as we've found to be the case with IKEA glassware in general. But hey, they're cheap, so just by more...

                1. re: bulavinaka

                  I also bought a dozen of these and they were great but I only have 4 left too. Funny....

              2. Oh, please. These glasses are cheap. Just go to a restaurant supply store and buy some 8 oz. juice glasses. About 75 cents apiece. That's what the Italian restos use.

                1 Reply
                1. re: maria lorraine

                  +1 on resto supply

                  When I see these used on TV, it puts me in mind of the marketing ploy back in the 50s-60s when jelly came in clear, sturdy jars that became drinking glasses when the jelly was gone. Varying sizes.

                  But I've been looking for them also which is why I landed here 4 yrs later.