HOME > Chowhound > Spirits >
Are you making a specialty food?

Why do we call G&Ts gin *and* tonics but VTs just vodka tonics?

tatamagouche Aug 23, 2008 10:43 AM

Some of us have too much time on our hands.

  1. Veggo Aug 28, 2008 01:09 PM

    My hypothesis is that gin and tonic got here first, in the days when we were wantonly and recklessly wasteful with our natural resources, including trees and paper. A VT is much more compact, and as it occurs in print, it will eventually spare the need for another page...and will save another tree. A VT is very PC.
    Next, we should obviate the use of the letter "u" following "Q's" , and save still more trees...:)

    2 Replies
    1. re: Veggo
      tatamagouche Sep 3, 2008 06:18 AM

      Well, now that there's Q tonic, you could just call a gin and tonic a GQ.

      1. re: tatamagouche
        Veggo Sep 3, 2008 06:28 AM

        GQ...very PC. Bartenders, take note of the VT ( Veggo-tatamagouche ) collaboration...

    2. Alcachofa Aug 28, 2008 12:45 PM

      Because that way both follow the meter of "Caedmon's Hymn".

      1. f
        FriedClamFanatic Aug 23, 2008 01:19 PM

        In the UK, I think they just say "Gin Tonic"

        5 Replies
        1. re: FriedClamFanatic
          MMRuth Aug 23, 2008 01:23 PM

          Is that the same as a "Gin and It"?

          1. re: MMRuth
            JMF Aug 23, 2008 01:59 PM

            No. Gin and It is gin and sweet vermouth.

            See this thread.


            1. re: JMF
              MMRuth Aug 24, 2008 06:50 AM

              Thanks - I thought after I posted that I should have searched!

          2. re: FriedClamFanatic
            wontonton Aug 25, 2008 01:30 PM

            In the UK, I've also heard "Whisky Soda".

            1. re: wontonton
              brendastarlet Aug 28, 2008 12:51 PM

              We call them V&Ts.

              For Man Men fans, I guess if Jimmy Barrett had a cocktail, it would be a Gin and Barrett.

          3. alanbarnes Aug 23, 2008 11:00 AM

            It's the whole consonant-vowel-consonant thing. "Gin and tonic" rolls off the tongue; no double vowels. Same with "vodka tonic" But if you order a "vodka and tonic" you have to make a full stop before the "and." Which can be difficult at times.

            "I drink Asti Spumante until I can't pronounce it any more. Then I drink beer." - Benny Hill

            1 Reply
            1. re: alanbarnes
              tatamagouche Aug 23, 2008 01:05 PM

              Oh, I suppose you're right. It's the natural alternating stressed and unstressed syllables thing.

              I imagine this Q would have been more appropriate for a logophile's forum—but then, a good drink can foster all sorts of philias. As well as, yes, the inability to speak the words one loves.

              Edit: I mean natural in the English language, of course, although FCF's claim below complicates the theory.

            Show Hidden Posts