The Best South Shore Bar Pizza
- cannedmilkandfruitypebbles Aug 11, 2008 01:47 PM
The South Shore is home to quite a few Bar Pizza joints. I'm wondering if there are any out there that I'm missing? What's your favorite, where is it, why do you like it?
Following up from a previous Christos thread, here are my favorites:
1) Poopsies- Pembroke/marshfield line- terrible name, great pizza. Super crispy crust and cheddary cheese blend. Expect to wait 45-1 hour if you go on a weekend night. It's a time warp, which most of the good bar room pizza places are, but it's dark, comfortable, and just feels like a place where you should drink a pitcher of beer and eat a bar room pizza.
2) Venus Cafe- Whitman- thin crust that is sometimes a bit underdone but it's better than any other pizza within a 5-10 mile radius. It's a brick building and there are no windows; that should tell you everythign you need to know about the atmosphere.
3)Lynwood Cafe- Randolph- No secrets here. Everyone that knows bar pizza has had one.
4) Cape Cod Cafe- Brockton- a thicker bar room pizza crust. I like the large slices of pepperoni. It's an old restaurant with an updated bar/dining room. Emma's aside, it may be the most "modern" of all the places on this list.
5) Alumni Cafe- Quincy- very good product but would pick the 4 above instead. It's a legit Quincy bar.
6) Christos-Brockton- boring sauce, ubiquitous heavy motzzarella chees blanket. Crust is fluffy; it's the only saviour for this pizza. Place is beyond tired. It has a 60's-70's vibe and not in a good way.
7) Emma's- West Bridgewater- not really much of anything to like- below average sauce and crust and cheese... Its only redemption is that from 12-4 PM on sunday's it's only $0.99 per pie at the bar. It soaks up cheap beer miller lite draft and Emma's has a great video trivia system and an expansive and diverse juke box.
My favorite bar pie on the South Shore is probably from the Lynwood. It has been tough for me to find anything better than theirs, though I do need to hit your top two places here...
Here are my top bar pizzas on the South Shore, starting with #1:
1) Lynwood Cafe, Randolph
2) Alumni Cafe, Quincy
3) Emma's, West Bridgewater
4) Christo's, Brockton
5) Cronin's, Quincy
6) Halfway Cafe, Holdbrook
7) Louis' Crossing, Quincy
I also have some favs on the North Shore, but I'll save those for another thread...
I used to go to Bella's as a kid when they were in Braintree. I never made it over there once they relocated.
I'm still a fan of Lynnwood, Alumni, Cronin's, Halfway, Christo's, Denleys (not sure that's bar style though). I guess there are a few spots I need to check out in the meantime.
I agree with Town Spa in Stoughton. We used to go there before a movie at the Stoughton Cinema Pub (since closed).
I would also recommend Union Brewhouse in Weymouth, near the intersection of Rt. 53 &18. Great local place with 99 beers and terrific pizzas and other bar food as well.