Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Ontario (inc. Toronto) >
Aug 7, 2008 09:04 AM

Thick asian noodles?

My husband has a craving for thick asian noodles (not my personal fav - I like lo mein). There are not the kind in soup but served with either veg or meat and sauce. What would they be listed as on a menu? Can anyone provide a rec in the West end?

Thanks for your help.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Possibly as Shanghai Noodles

    1. Hmm, not much to go on here. My first thought for "thick" noodles is udon, but those are almost always served in broth. Check this site out, it categorizes noodles by type, shows pictures, and gives alternate names for each.

      1. Chinese thick noodles = shanghai noodles, mostly fried
        Japanese thick noodles = udon, usually in soup, sometimes fried
        Korean thick "noodles" = chap chae (I've seen these called soba by unscrupulous restaurateurs)

        9 Replies
        1. re: Teep

          There's also Chow Fun or Ho Fun (flat rice noodle).

          1. re: fickle

            Thank you, thank you, thank you - now I have a name - Shanghai noodles. Now I have to work on the restaurant part - does anyone have a recommendation?

          2. re: Teep

            I thought "chap chae" was potato starch noodles.

            1. re: mrsleny

              Chap Chae is sweet potato starch noodles. I've never seen them thick, and I can't imagine them being served that way. Teep, are you sure that you're not thinking of something else?

              1. re: vorpal

                Well the OP asked for "asian", so thought I'd cover the major cuisines. It is thicker than say Chinese egg noodles or Japanese soba.

                1. re: vorpal

                  Maybe Teep is thinking of jajangmyun?

                  1. re: mrsleny

                    No, I forgot about that. However Jajang refers to the sauce. Do the noodles themselves have a name? (Myoen just refets to generic noodles, from the Chinese "mien", AFAIK. In fact this dish is a Chinese import.)

                    1. re: Teep

                      You're right ... jajang does refer to the sauce and it's a variation of a Chinese dish. My package of noodles from HMart just says "Jajang guksoo". I don't know if there's a special name for the thick noodle itself.