Seeking easy cake recipes for novices!
Easy Pound Cake (I wish I could remember the CH who shared it)
this cake is fool proof! Adding strawberries, stewed apples a bit of fresh whipped cream is a snap!
1 lb. butter, softened
1 lb. white sugar
1 lb. eggs (that's 8 large)
1 lb. white AP flour
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Whip the butter until light and creamy.
3. Scrape down the sides, add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
4. Scrape down the sides, add the eggs, salt and vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
5. Lower the speed to "stir".
6. Scrape down the sides, add the flour a little at a time, and stop as soon as it's incorporated.
7. Pour into a buttered, floured loaf pan and smooth the top.
8. Bake 2 hours, or until a skewer poked in the centre comes out completely dry (the top centre will be the last to bake fully -- don't pull early or you'll have "pudding cake".
9. Let cool until you can handle the pan, then de-pan and let cool fully before slicing.
Here's a link to the recipe for the world's best summer fruit cake, from Marian Burros' cookbook (and her old New York Times column):
It's known as "the original plum torte" because the recipe has been requested so many times. You can substitute pretty much any fruit for plums (I've made it with peaches, blueberries, and a combination of above and everyone always loves it, though I've never made it with apples, so I don't know how that would be), but let me tell you, with plums it's really awesome. It's a very plain cake, but delicious.