HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Replacement rack for speckled enamel "waterbath" canner?

The Dairy Queen Jul 27, 2008 01:06 PM

I was given one of those giant blue speckled enamel "waterbath canner" kettle as a gift awhile back; I don't know the brand or the size (huge!). I would like to actually use it as a waterbath canner for tomatoes, but the rack was not included or has been lost or whatever.

Where can I buy a replacement rack for it? Also, I was looking on Amazon.com and I see they have a few racks for sale, but they list the size by the number of quarts (say 33 quarts). I think my kettle will hold 7 one quart jars (well, it could hold 8 if you could put one in the center, but I don't think that's typically done, or am I mistaken?). Anyone know what size of rack I need for this?

P.S. I just went to my local Fleet Farm to buy jars and lids and other supplies and they had tons of canning stuff, but not replacement racks...

Thank you!


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. RShea78 RE: The Dairy Queen Jul 27, 2008 03:03 PM

    How about...



    Now my granny used a cast iron trivet in the bottom of hers so the jars would be elevated and then a jar lifter. If she didn't use something on the bottom the jars come too close to direct heat and break, as she says.

    1 Reply
    1. re: RShea78
      The Dairy Queen RE: RShea78 Jul 27, 2008 04:48 PM

      Hey, that looks perfect, thank you!

      I think it would take several cast iron trivets at the bottom of this canner to elevate all seven jars. I figure (hope!) I have a lifetime of canning ahead of me, so, it's probably worth the $10 to buy a rack for it.

      We have a jar lifter we use with our pressure canner and it's just awesome!


    Show Hidden Posts