Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Middle East & Africa >
Jul 22, 2008 03:24 AM

what is this called?

I had a really tasty little fried thing over the weekend in Abu Gosh (Israel) at an Arab restaurant. The inside was a little looser than a meatball, and it was surrounded by what tasted like corndog coating. The people we were with said you can buy them frozen at the market, but I forgot what they're called...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Sounds like kibbe to me. Incidentally, if you ever get a chance, try pumpkin kibbe. From my local sources, I like that even better than the meat version.

    Spelling variations: kibbeh, kubbeh, kubbah.

    4 Replies
    1. re: Indy 67

      Thanks! I should be able to figure out the Hebrew from there :-)

      I wonder if there's any link linguistically to kibies (sp?), the Brazilian/Portugese meatball things?

      1. re: Cowprintrabbit

        Most definitely. I knew the food immediately, but I wanted to supply the alternative spellings in case one of those alternates seemed more familiar. I did a search and, in the process, discovered the Brazilian/Portugese connection. Wikipedia says that dish is called kibe or quibe in Columbia and Brazil.

        1. re: Indy 67

          thanks! I think I like the local batter dipped ones even better than the "naked" Brazilian/Portugese ones - hard to top, but everythings better with batter, right?

          It's weird, the more places you go in the world, the smaller the food world gets. Hubby is getting very sick of me saying "Oh, this is like the [insert food] we had in [insert exotic place]!"

          1. re: Cowprintrabbit

            In Syria, kubbeh-making is an art form, and you can find them in many different shapes, sizes, and fillings (I know this from Paula Wolfert's cookbook "Cooking of the Eastern Mediterranean", not from having been there). Here in Israel, I've only found one kind - the kind you had, with ground meat and pine nuts.