HOME > Chowhound > Not About Food >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Get great advice

Say "I am allergic to shellfish" in Thai?

finckey Jul 7, 2008 08:07 PM

A friend is heading to Thailand and he is VERY allergic to shellfish. Any advice on how to say this in Thai??

  1. c
    ChangFai Jul 8, 2008 01:18 AM

    Allergic is 'paae' .

    Seafood is 'Ahaan Talay'

    Add Phom (Male) or Chan (Female) in front of it .

    Phom paae ahaan talay .

    I am not fluent in Thai , but thats how I would do it .

    1. Curt the Soi Hound Jul 8, 2008 01:47 AM

      Anil, at Suk 11 Guest House, made this page. You can copy and print them to be perfectly clear.


      3 Replies
      1. re: Curt the Soi Hound
        ChangFai Jul 8, 2008 05:22 AM

        Thats handy .

        Not sure but the shellfish one , reads "Chan Paae Hawy" , which would cover mussels , oysters , whelks etc. , but probably not prawns etc.

        1. re: ChangFai
          ThaiNut Jul 8, 2008 05:41 AM

          You have a good point there. This might be a bit clearer

          ผมแพ้อาหารทะเล แต่ไม่แพ้อาหารที่ทำด้วยปลา

          It is bit more polite by using 'phom' instead of 'chan' and it says 'I am
          alergic to seafood except for food made of fish.'

          1. re: Curt the Soi Hound
            ChangFai Jul 9, 2008 05:27 AM

            I find this board a VERY strange place sometimes !

      Show Hidden Posts