HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What are you cooking today? Share your food adventure

California roll--what's that orange stuff?

stratford Jul 6, 2008 10:43 AM

So I had some California sushi rolls that were coated in a grainy orange substance on the outside of the roll. What exactly is that stuff and, if I wanted to make it myself, can I buy it somewhere?

  1. almansa Jul 8, 2008 01:19 PM

    I once worked with a Japanese chef in Chicago. In an attempt to bond with him I mentioned that I loved tobiko. He snorted and said "so do my children." It's fish eggs with corn syrup and food coloring: fish candy.

    1 Reply
    1. re: almansa
      Boccone Dolce Jul 8, 2008 05:46 PM

      S'ok Almansa- I love tobiko too. I had NO idea it had corn syrup! I wonder if it's true for all types- black, red, orange...

    2. kcijones001 Jul 8, 2008 12:24 PM

      it's fish eggs

      1. porker Jul 6, 2008 11:42 AM

        As JonL said, flying fish roe. You can usually pick it up frozen in an asian market.

        2 Replies
        1. re: porker
          hill food Jul 6, 2008 11:39 PM

          I see it in jars at Safeway.

          although red more often. nice crunch factor.

          1. re: hill food
            porker Jul 7, 2008 07:02 AM

            Yeah, sometimes we'll eat sushi then go out to a movie. I'll be watching Angelina Jolie killing bad guys and be picking out individual flying fish eggs outta my teeth, popping them one by one...

        2. j
          JonL Jul 6, 2008 10:46 AM

          That is flying fish roe or tobiko (alt. sp: tobikko).
          I suggest that you google it and you will learn far more than I can tell you about here.

          1 Reply
          1. re: JonL
            Ed Dibble Jul 6, 2008 11:33 AM

            These days, cal rolls are more likely to have masago instead of tobiko. It is cheaper and in something like cal rolls where cost is more important than the flavor of the roe, an adequate substitute

            Real tobiko can be quite good as a sushi item by itself. Not so with masago.

          Show Hidden Posts