Chinese Pancake Recipe?
I'm looking for a particular type of Chinese Pancake recipe. This isn't the type that you would wrap duck up in. This type of pancake is made with scallions and oil. I think it is usually called tsong you bing or cao you bing? Does anyone have a trustworthy recipe that they would be willing to post?
if you want a close approximation that's a LOT easier to make, use flour tortillas, dip them in some beaten egg, make a sandwich of them with a little minced scallion & a little salt, a few drops of sesame oil, and fry in a skillet. the egg browns up nicely - and if you want you can sprinkle a few scallions & sesame seeds on top before you flip it.
I use this recipe. It is a scallion crepe recipe.
1 c all purpose flour
2/3 c water
2/3 c milk
pinch of salt
2 T unsalted butter, melted
2 scallions (green onions), white bulb and 3 inches green, thinly sliced lengthwise, then cut diagonally into 1/4 inch pieces
1. Combine the flour, water, and milk in a food processor. Process for 15 seconds.
2. With the motor running, add the eggs, salt, and butter through thefeed tube. Process until well blended. Transfer the batter to a bowl, and refrigerate, loosely covered, for 1 hour.
3. Fold the scallions into the batter.
4. Heat a nonstick crepe pan until quite hot. Add 3 T batter, and tilt the pan so that the batter spreads evenly. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Flip the crepe over and cook another 15 seconds. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. Stack the crepes as they are done, between pieces of waxed paper. (If made in advance, reheat by removing all the waxed paper, wrapping the stacked crepes in aluminum foil, and placing them in a preheated 350F oven until just warm, about 10 minutes.
hi, do you mean scallion pancakes? I grew up eating these and watching my parents make them. My dad used to use a tub of Crisco!
The link below is a recipe from Ming Tsai that I have used myself for years- very similar to the ones that my parents used to make, but less fattening. The dipping sauce is a must too.