Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jun 24, 2008 09:06 PM

Grilled Pizza Questions and Help

We are heading to a cabin this weekend with 2 other couples, and are responsible for dinner one night. We would like to do something on the BBQ, and pizza sounded interesting...

Any tips or tricks?

Any neat recipe or topping ideas?

And what the heck do you serve with it?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. a good idea for toppings would be to include some goat cheese, caramelized or grilled onions, and maybe some arugula? yum yum

    1. Good question. Can this be done in a pan? Not trusting myself to be able to slide it off the board on which I assembled it without the whole thing flopping through the grate, I tried BBQing one on a black steel cookie sheet, but the bottom burnt black before the top was done. Total disaster.

      What the correct procedure?

      4 Replies
      1. re: BobB

        To do a grilled pizza, you need to lay the dough on the grill over medium direct heat, close the lid and let it go for about 3 minutes. Remove the crust from the grill with tongs, a peel or whatever, flip it over on a peel so that the grilled side is now facing up. Spread the grilled side of the pizza with the sauce and other toppings. Now change the grill to indirect heat and return the pizza to the grill, cooking for 7-10 minutes until the bottom is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

        1. re: flourgirl

          Do you put the lid back on or leave it off for the final grilling?

          1. re: greedygirl

            I tend to close the lid so the toppings warm through and the cheese melts without the crust burning.

            1. re: greedygirl

              Sorry about that. :) Yes, you close the lid for the final grilling.

        2. I've found it easier to make individual pizzas on the grill. I also like BBQ chicken, cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, and BBQ sauce to replace the tomato sauce. If you go with the small pizzas, folks can choose their own toppings.

          1. Flourgirl's description of the process is what I would have suggested. Think in terms of making a flat bread that, once turned, receives a topping. Top it with whatever you and your guests like to eat and, of course, make sure each ingredient complements the other(s). For a BBQ pizza, I prefer to brush each side of the dough with olive oil before putting it on the grill. I layer the ingredients with cheese as the first ingredient layer followed by olives, bits of browned bacon, roasted pine nuts and perhaps a few artichoke hearts. I prefer to drizzle the sauce onto the pizza as a top layer, the sprinkle a few caramelized onions on top of the sauce. If you're using an open grill you may find it easier to start the pizza using a sheet of aluminum foil to support it during the initial cooking period. Use your tongs to raise the sides of the dough periodically to check the bottom as over-browning insurance.

            Serve it with a spinach salad - try 70% spinach leaves, 30% chopped head lettuce leaves, some water chestnuts, chopped hard boiled egg and a bacon vinegairette dressing.

            1. I do exactly what flourgirl suggests. I made an amazing Margherita. Simply, homemade tomato sauce, buffalo mozarella and grill until cheese starts to melt. Take off grill and garnish with fresh basil.