HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

¿Como se llama the taquero's hubcap looking pan?

Professor Salt Jun 4, 2008 10:18 PM

We have taco carts here in L.A. where a large steel pan with a convex dome is used to cook the meat and heat up the tortillas.

Anyone know the Spanish name for this thing?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. r
    Raymondo RE: Professor Salt Jun 5, 2008 04:15 AM

    I think it may be called a comal. I know that is the iron thingy you put on a stove burner to heat up tortillas.

    1. mjs RE: Professor Salt Jun 5, 2008 10:42 AM

      Yes, it´s a comal de acero.

      2 Replies
      1. re: mjs
        Professor Salt RE: mjs Jun 5, 2008 10:13 PM

        Doesn't that translate to "steel comal?" Aren't the regular flat ones made of steel too?

        Hope I don't come across as a smartass. Just not clear on the linguistic distinction between comal and comal de acero when the material is the same, and the shape entirely different.

        1. re: Professor Salt
          karmalaw RE: Professor Salt Jun 6, 2008 07:41 AM

          My comal is made of cast iron -- which I believe is the usual material -- I actually have two: a round one with a handle, and a long 2 burner one.

          I would suspect that there's not a 2 burner comal de acero (I could be wrong), so calling it a "comal de acero" is sufficient description in the name for identification.

      2. c
        cook52 RE: Professor Salt Jun 7, 2008 06:30 PM

        It is called a "disco"

        2 Replies
        1. re: cook52
          Dommy RE: cook52 Jun 10, 2008 10:39 PM

          Yup! To me it mostly resembles a traditional casero dish called a Disca, which is used to prepare a traditional dish called discada:


          You can often find these at larger Hispanic Swapmeets (I know in at the Mission Swapmeet in Pomona there is a guy who sells all sorts of 'Taquero' equiptment.


          1. re: Dommy
            Professor Salt RE: Dommy Jun 11, 2008 02:19 PM

            Cool. Thanks for the confirmation, Dommy!

        2. k
          kali_MM RE: Professor Salt Jun 7, 2008 06:48 PM

          I have a comal made of clay - I was shown how to roast my mole ingredients on it.

          3 Replies
          1. re: kali_MM
            karmalaw RE: kali_MM Jun 8, 2008 02:15 PM

            Mole is usually made in a clay cazuela -- are you sure you don't have a cazuela? This is a cazuela:


            1. re: karmalaw
              mjs RE: karmalaw Jul 9, 2008 10:01 AM

              Clay comales are common in Oaxaca, great for heating tortillas. Found this about Disca:


              1. re: mjs
                kali_MM RE: mjs Aug 28, 2008 07:13 AM

                That makes sense - I bought mine in the state of Oaxaca (Puerto Escondido). I sold it in a garage sale prior to moving to Dubai (no one in Edmonton had a clue what it was, or what it was used for), but may pick another up on my next visit to Mexico.

          2. p
            paul balbin RE: Professor Salt Sep 1, 2008 04:47 AM

            Checked at the place in town which sells the thing. Cook 52 is correct, the guy said
            it is called a disco. A comal is flat.

            1. m
              mgwerks RE: Professor Salt Sep 4, 2008 01:10 PM

              Be authentic! A true disco is made from a discarded plow disc, hole welded shut and handles tacked on. Now there are people manufacturing them as new, but the heavier plow discs really manage he heat better, mine is like 3/16" thick. I use mine on my turkey fryer burner.

              1. y
                yerblor RE: Professor Salt Dec 27, 2008 11:15 AM

                I just went through my earch on theChowhound site and the infomation provided to me was in the Chowhound link ( http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/581634 ). I took the information and inally located one online that is made of stainless steel and is 24 inches indiameter. You can find one at http://mifiesta.com/km00297.html .....Victor

                Show Hidden Posts