Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
May 30, 2008 02:51 PM

Crushed Red Chiles: Same as Red Pepper Flakes?

I'm making a linguine con vongole tonight. The recipe calls for crushed red chiles. I have red pepper flakes at home. Are these the same thing?

If I went to the store, is there a specific red chile I should buy? Fresh? Dried? Then mince it?

Thanks for your help.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. The original comment has been removed
    1. That's what I use for vongole, and I believe it's the same thing. What recipe are you using? One of my favorite meals!

      1 Reply
      1. re: MMRuth

        Thanks for all your responses. I'm using one of Mario's recipes.

      2. I think they are the same thing--

        1. "Crushed Red Chiles" or "Crushed Red Pepper" is how they're most commonly labeled, so that's what they're usually called in cookbooks. But definitely the same thing.

          1. Crushed dried red chili peppers are the same as flakes, and used where you want to spice up a dish without turning it completely red.
            Ground dried chili is a powder that comes in fine, medium, and coarse grinds, and is used in dishes you want red with heat.
            In general, the powders will provide more chili flavor and more heat than the flakes, as the powder will spread through your dish more than the flakes will.