Have you ever lost a taste for something?
I mean going from really enjoying a particular food, beverage, condiment etc, and then suddenly no longer enjoying it at all.
This has happened to me several times here lately. The most recent occurence was going from being addicted to sriracha to no longer liking it at all. One day I loved it, and the next it tasted so bitter on my palate I lost any inclination towards it. (no my bottle didn't go bad, tastes the same to my SO)
Another example I can recall is honey tangerines. I used to love the subtlety of the flavor, but now that same flavor seems overly sweet and flat. I tried them several times from several stores and I really did just stop enjoying them.
One of the most surprising things to me I seem to have stopped liking is green olives. In the past I could easily go through a jar on my own, but recently unles they are in teeny tiny pieces and with lots of other stuff, they nearly make me gag.
How about you? Any similar surprising shifts away from foods?
Not food but drinks. When I was in high school I had soft drinks like soda or juice with every meal. As I got older, I totally lost my interest in soda (I still like juice, but only fresh squeezed and not with a meal). I prefer to drink (sparkling) water now or drinks that are not sweet
Actually, I realized this (with one particular food) this weekend- corned beef!
About 2 months ago, it was the last thing I ate before I got a terrible case of stress-related acid reflux. Vomited/had persistent nausea for nearly 1 week. Since the last time I tasted it was in reverse, I've had NO desire for corned beef whatsoever. And it used to be one of my favorite treats....
I used to drink Galliano, mainly in the form of Harvey Wallbangers until I got ridiculously sick on them one evening (NOT my fault) - anyway, have never had one since, have never wanted one since.
While going through an 8-month long course of chemo, the cancer center would give me diet ginger ale - that quickly turned into a negative association - haven't had one of those since, either.
But other than those kinds of incidental associations, I have rarely stayed away from anything for a significant length of time. That isn't to say that I don't get tired of things and maybe give it a rest for a few months or even longer - but I eventually go back and think, hmmm, I used to like this a lot - I wonder what happened?
Blackened dover sole... I went through a period of eating it many times a week to just being nauseated by the thought.
most recently hot tea. i drank a few cups one evening, got sick as a dog for three days (unrelated to the tea), but every time i think of consuming it (or chicken salad--my dinner on the eve of my sickness) i just feel queasy.