HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Buying all-clad: saute pot vs. saute pan

noya May 3, 2008 11:23 AM

Is there any difference between the abovementioned?
Many thanks!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. t
    takadi RE: noya May 3, 2008 03:44 PM

    Pans are shallower and wider for easier evaporation and frying/sauteeing. Pots are tall and slightly narrower for holding liquids

    2 Replies
    1. re: takadi
      noya RE: takadi May 4, 2008 04:30 AM

      Thanks so much for the explanation! Do I need both? Or are they almost interchangeable?

      1. re: noya
        takadi RE: noya May 4, 2008 05:04 AM

        It depends. If you want a combination of a pot and a pan, look for those curved pans or what they call "sauciers". Similar ones are called "evasee"'s and "sauteuse"'s

        I would buy both the pot and the pan though

    2. s
      sobriquet RE: noya May 3, 2008 11:35 PM

      I've never heard of a saute pot...? I'm not sure such a thing exists.

      1. m
        Miss Priss RE: noya May 4, 2008 06:47 AM

        It looks like All-Clad is just using the term "saute pot" to designate a long-handled version of their 6-quart stockpot, which has two loop handles and is somewhat shallower than a 6-quart "pot" (aka "saucepan") would be. They can't call it a saute pan because they already produce a true 6-quart saute pan (wide and shallow, with straight sides) and distribute it under that name. Otherwise, I'm sure the fact that the "saute pot" is NOT a "saute pan" wouldn't deter them from calling it one!

        1. b
          blondelle RE: noya May 4, 2008 07:01 AM

          All-Clad calls their saute pot a 6 qt. deep saute. You can saute in it like their standard pot, but the food might not be as crisp owing to it's higher sides which impedes evaporation. It's more more deep frying and for taller cuts of meat where you also use more liquid to cook in. It also doubles as a stockpot. The lower saute is more like a straight sided fry pan. It's sides contain the food better when flipping the pan. The world "saute" means to jump. It's easier to use for standard frypan like uses, but will let you use more liquid than a standard fry pan when cooking.

          1 Reply
          1. re: blondelle
            noya RE: blondelle May 5, 2008 04:51 AM

            Everyone--your technical knowledge is really impressive. I thank you so very much!

          Show Hidden Posts